CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I've managed to clean the rest of my meals up, but breakfast is still an issue. I eat a nut/fruit bread with nut butter almost every day. It wasn't so bad at first but now I eat up to 3 slices a day with almond or macadamia butter. It's delicious but I have a feeling the dried pineapples and raisins aren't such a good idea. It turns out to be about 1 block per slices, so it's not horribly bad, on days I don't have that I end up eating oatmeal. I can switch to fruit, would that be better? Any other suggestions?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Frank,
No offense man, but sounds like your asking the same questions over and over again. I'd say by now, you'd be the best judge and know what you can and can't eat. The best advice as you know is to try one way out and if it doesn't work do something else.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
don't eat breakfast get on an if scheduale and only eat between 12 and 6pm, problem solved + you get all the benifits of if.

Something new to try, safe link

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstra ctPlus&list_uids=12724520&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_ DocSum
Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Kevin,
So by only eating between 12pm and 6pm you are essentially fasting everday right? Lately I've been experimenting with EOD fast and it seems to work well. Might try your way as my fast ends around 5pm and I tend to eat leading right up to bedtime. Have you noticed any loss in strength of muscle following that protocol?

Frank, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll shoot Kevin a pm if need be.
Peace, Steve
Old 12-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Max Seid

Profile:
Frank, I agree with Steve. Everyones body is different and thus everyone has a different diet. I forget who it was, but in a previous thread someone reminded us that crossfit is merely an idea that we can use and modify. This goes for the diet as well. Although crossfit recommends that we get all of our carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables, this does not work everybody (myself included). I have made many attempts to achieve my carbohydrates excluding bread from my diet, but my body just doesn't react well to this. I have upped my fat a considerable amount to stop hunger cravings between meals (just as I'm sure you have after the information given to you in your last post regarding hunger), but I have noticed an increase in my body fat percentage. I went back to decreasing the fats and included 2 slices of whole wheat bread or a bowl of oatmeal in my meals. Personally, this just works better for me. Once again, experiment and figure out what is best for you.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Simple solution:

1) Don't stress so much...if you get 85% of it right, you will make great strides.

2) Journal your eating..track progress...see what works for you, and more importantly what doesnt work for you. Your insulin sensitivity and metabolism are specific only to you.

3) Change things up often. Like exercise, don't eat the same things...you will get more nutrients, have better digestion and won't be obsessed over it. You don't burn the exact same amount of calories every day...so why should your nutrition be so exact either?

4) Live life and pass your knowledge onto others.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Steve,

Yes I eat between noon and 6pm have gained LBM and feel great doing this.

Here is more data on scheduling fasts apparently there are hormonal benefits to eating towards the end of the day.

Safe link
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...hread.php?t=18
Old 12-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Cool. Thanks Kev.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
Hone Watson

Profile:
Thanks for the link Kevin.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
We report that when C57BL6 mice are maintained on an intermittent fasting (alternate-day fasting) dietary-restriction regimen their overall food intake is not decreased and their body weight is maintained.

don't forget that a 12 hour fast for mice is a 3 day fast for humans. don't understsand why people continue to overlook that fact on these forums.