CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Tim McFarland

Profile:
In terms of which carbs are more preferable than others for a Zone-favorable diet, how should I rank the following? (I tried to put them in a reasonable order from best to worst, but I would appreciate corrections)

fresh veggies
fresh fruit
canned veggies
canned fruit
brown rice
potatoes
whole wheat bread
whole wheat pasta
white rice
white bread
white pasta
donuts
candy
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I think you got it about right, though I'm torn on this section:

brown rice
potatoes
whole wheat bread
whole wheat pasta

I think that depending on the makeup of your bread, it might have more fiber, and thus a more preferable profile than brown rice and potatoes...the same goes for pasta. I would go by the nutritional info on either one to find out.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
I'd probably put frozen veggies & fruits before canned.

if you're going to eat grains, I'd put any whole grain before anything refined like bread. That is, oatmeal, rice, wheat berries/groats, barley, etc.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Philippe Deslandes

Profile:
http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm

Hello, Check out this site and/or do additionnal search on the web to find glicemic index of food. If the glicemic index is high, it will deliver sugar quicker into your blood stream and impact on insulin production.

I suggest you read ĞMastering the zoneğ to understand the mechanism in detail.

Good luck
}}
Phil
Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Fresh vegatables, fresh fruit, frozen vegatables, frozen fruit, STOP. Occasional piece of whole wheat bread as a condiment, if that.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Roger Smith

Profile:
Philippe Deslandes, thanks, that is a really good site.....
Old 03-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Larry, I have to agree with you 100%...I eat a bit of whole grain bread and oatmeal, but I'd never touch white bread, candy or canned ANYTHING :p
Old 03-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
David Stegman

Profile:
I never thought I would be at a point in my life when a slice of whole grain bread (plain) was a "treat" for me! It's like my dessert or something...crazy! Actually I think it's cool but everyone around me thinks I'm nuts.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Well, the candy was a joke...the donuts were, sort of, a confession (Hi, my name is Tim and I'm a donut addict...it has been 2 weeks since my last donut), and I put the white whatever on the bottom of the list since I avoid it like poison. What I was really wondering about was veggies vs fruit and fresh vs. canned (I didn't even think about frozen). Mainly I wanted to know whether to go for veggies always over fruit, whether fresh, frozen, or canned, or whether the freshness makes the fruit preferable to canned or frozen veggies. And oatmeal, does that go below all forms of fruit / veggies, or is it perhaps better than canned?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
you're not much in the way of antioxidants or vitamins in the grains- so I'd put oatmeal and such way after fruits & veggies.

To me, the equation is about low sugar (low carb) and nutrient density.

I don't think you can categorize veggies vs fruits - too many variables. For instance, berries have a lot of bang for the buck and are a lower sugar fruit - bananas are starchy and don't have much that you can't get elsewhere. On the veggie side, carrots have a lot of sugar and broccoli and cauliflower have lots of good stuff and fiber and are lower sugar. So I might say broccoli, berries, carrots, bananas - if you see what I mean from just that example.

another example - some roots like turnips are lower sugar than others like potatoes. So even though I'd say put roots last on the veggie list - there is a hierarchy there as well.

so for me it is more: low sugar veggies, low sugar fruits, other veg & other fruit. I'd rather eat organic berries than non-organic - and sometimes that choice forces me to organic frozen rather than imported-from-Chile fresh.