CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
Daniel Hinds

Profile:
here's what i did and i find it helps alot...while in the frog stand or tuck planche try to push one foot back straight as if one side is doin a planche and the other is tucked

this should work
Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
This is a method that does help. You'll start to develop the feel for the extension without quite as much load.

This works for front levers as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Ooh, ooh, I could use this! Great tip.

BTW, I'm up to a 2 minute hold in the frog stand. Up from - oh - 5 seconds when I started doing these maybe a couple of months ago. Surprisingly I find that my wrists and my abs hurt the most.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:
I did a full planche in about 18" of water on the local pool steps and it gave me an idea of the feeling of the tension required in the low back and legs. At my nursery school level of planche (can hold a tuck planche on paralettes about 25 seconds max) it was somewhat of a challenge. As I progress, I would think going up a step in the pool would be a nice way to improve.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Just curious where you all add the frog squat and lever into your day. I am new to CrossFit, two weeks now, but was doing the static holds prior with some success. Since starting the WOD's I have slowed down on them, hoping to add them later as my body adapts.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
This is a really cool tip! Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Ryan, I do planches, L-sits etc in my warmup. 2 mins of each. I do them first thing as they aren't really heart rate increasers.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
Kent Sewell

Profile:
Daniel,

Yeah those are great! Here's a pic in case people wanted to see.

http://x69.xanga.com/665854fb495338906752/b6893142.jpg
Old 07-23-2005, 06:37 AM   #9
Michael Decerbo

Profile:
i've been using a single band strapped over one foot and then holding a planche. my left leg is still injured, but i can get a decent planche with this method. i haven't tried it without the band yet, but i recently decreased the resistance by opening up the band a bit. i'm going to give it 6 more weeks before i attempt it without the band. this movie was taken about 3 weeks ago. my form is a little more solid now and i have more lift.

http://www.thehouseofpidor.com/dyno/planche.MOV
Old 07-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Your picky CF gymnastics coach needs to make some comments...

If you want to progress to a true straight arm planche.

1. After the frog stand, really work on getting the tuck planch with straight arms. Working these skills bent arm will help get them solid with bent arms, but won't progress to the straight arm very quickly.
2. Once the straight arm ball planche is solid start working on pressing it out to a straddle planche. Really focus on keeping a hollow body and thinking about being on top of the planche.

Another exercise for planches that is loads of partner fun. We call them planche crawls.

Start lying on the floor with a partner holding your feet. Push up so you are now in a wheel barrow position with a hollow body. Then lean forward and slowly lower straight arm to lying on your chest on the floor. It is your partners job to keep you from landing on your face hard. The partner will do just enough to prevent this by pulling back on the other person's feet. Again as you get stronger your partner will have to do less and less. Eventually this drill can be done solo. Most people will need to turn their fingertips back in the top position to not overstretch their wrists.