CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-16-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Just wanted to mention that I've been poking away at the tuck planche as per Coach Sommer's excellent Building the Olympic Body article. I do them off the floor, no parallettes. While for a long time (months) my tuck planches were about .25 second holds (so I'd do about 100 brief holds to get to 60 seconds total) last night I got to 4 seconds, and was able to get some space between my legs and the mat. Felt really powerful to do it.

Then I sagged, and did 50 more holds of varying interval. But 10 seconds is within sight, and so on. I'm stoked. Have to start on the levers too.

It's funny how a clean & jerk that lifts a weight from floor to about 7' above the ground, and a tuck planche that just hovers my mass right above the mat, can both leave me a sweaty mass.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Mike, excellent work!

I've been doing the progressions for about a month now as part of my warm-up, and I can tell that the step up from frog-stand (I'm up to about 45 secs in one go on these) to tuck planche is going to be a huge one! At this point I think I'll have to stop doing them as part of my warm-up and do them as supplemental work outside of the WOD, otherwise my warmup will last much longer than the WOD - what with the 100 holds of less than a second that you mention! I can foresee myself having to do something in the order of 200 holds!

Anyway, thanks for posting - it's motivating to hear of others' success and to know that there's light at the end of the tunnel!

nb - you mention that you want to start doing the lever progression. In the article "Building the Olympic Body" Coach Sommer mentions that the lever and planche complement each other and that working them side-by-side will accelerate your progress in both. My advice would be to start working that lever without delay!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Graham Tidey

Profile:
I'm up to 28 seconds (can you believe I quit with 2 seconds left?!) on the tuck planche, so I'm no expert.

Recently I made a massive leap in how long I could balance and hold them because I learnt a trick which is to really, really concentrate, more than anything else on pulling your legs up. Try and get your quads flat against the ceiling, so to speak. This gives you a horizontal back and as you lift you get better balance. It literally feels like you're pulling yourself off the ground with your legs/waist and not your arms.

The planches hanging from a pullup bar still elude me though. For the past month-ish I've added Knees to Elbows to my warmups though and have seen great improvements in how many I can do. Hopefully I'll be hanging from that bar soon enough.

Wonder if anyone can do the fingertip tuck planche? :-)
Old 02-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Fingertip tuck planches are certainly doable. Some folks have done them due to limitations in wrist flexibility.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Mike

I would recommend getting some parallettes, pushup handles, rings, yoga blocks or big phone books to use under your hands. Although it is ideal to have your feet tucked up tight and above your hands, at your sub 1 second attempts, I think you could benefit from supporting yourself from a raised surface to increase the time you are supporting yourself. I suspect that you will increase your time in the air and will get a greater overall benefit.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
About the gymnastic progressions...I find myself stalling (after some good initial progress) if I just aim for 1 minute a day. Now I go for whatever amount I feel I can handle (20 seconds one day, 2 minutes the next, etc.)
Old 02-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
Mark Baldwin

Profile:
great job. I have been doing tuck planches for some time using homemade parrallettes from pvc pipe-they work great. Yesterday, I did GTG for 20-30 scds at a time every 15 mins. It amazes to see that pic of that young gymnast doing planche pushups.

Roger, it appears the step from rounded back to flat back on tuck planches is a huge one, is this correct?

Mark
Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Paul, I've been wondering whether an approach like yours might be better - religiously sticking to a minute's total work each time does seem somewhat contrary to the CF philosophy of maximum variety. I shall keep the idea on the back burner for when my own progress stalls; at the moment I'm making good gains so it doesn't seem necessary.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I'm being a little hard on myself when I say a quarter-second, as I can usually get at least a pause at the tuck position, if not a strong 1-count. The early reps are a few seconds. I also will let one of my toes touch occasionally and get a full 10 seconds that way. Cheats the balance, but still is a major workout.

I've also been holding support with my rings for a minute or so at a time on a GTG-type thing when I pass by them in my garage. No dips, just staying on rings. I'll let my arms move away from the body to jack up the intensity, maybe toss in some L-sit or even suck the legs up and think about planching (new word?).

I'll try elevating the hands tonight, thanks.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
David S Keisler

Profile:
Ive been doing my tuck planches off the floor, flat hands & some finger tips. off of 60# hex DBs & even off the rings... It seems to help to mix it up... BUT so far off the floor seems to be the hardest as indeed you have to tuck tighter to keep off the floor. The levers seem a little bit easier for me.