CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Sarah Nissen

Profile:
Nursing mom interested in crossfit...

Hi, I am still nursing my son and I'm interested in crossfit. My husband has just started it, but I am concerned about the intensity and my milk supply.

Has anyone dealt with this? Also, can anyone give me some pointers on getting motivated to actually start doing it! I'm so inactive right now, other than chasing my son around. I eat healthily and am trying the Zone with my husband, but I have a hard time getting motivated to take the time to actually go to a crossfit gym (or any gym, for that matter) and work out.

Thanks!
Sarah
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Re: Nursing mom interested in CrossFit...

Sarah,
Try Andrea at www.CrossFitmom.com. She can be emailed at:
Andrea.CrossFitBrandX@Gmail.com
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I heard this from my friend whose wife tried to workout while nursing their son. She complained that every time she tried exercise which would put any kind of stress on her chest muscles she would have problems with her milk supply. Maybe you should get some medical opinion.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Shawn Morton

Profile:

I'm a 2 year crossfitter and my wife is a doula enroute to becoming a midwife, and I work as a firefighter/paramedic. I am not an ob/gyn, but my thoughts are the wod as prescribed might be a bit much for you at this time. I'm not sure if Annie nursed or not, but my thoughts are that you are expending alot of energy in recovering from childbirth, and in producing milk for your little one. I'm not sure I would add a whole lot of additional stress to that. Squats would be good to bring your pelvic floor muscles back to stability, and some scaled down wod's might be ok if you are very disciplined and will listen to your body. I would talk to your doctor about what exactly you are planning on doing, and I'm sure you would get good advice. Doctors are all messed up over squats, but they see the benefits of exercise. I'm blushing as I also recommend kegels as an exercise to do several times a day.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Shawn Morton

Profile:

I'm a 2 year CrossFitter and my wife is a doula enroute to becoming a midwife, and I work as a firefighter/paramedic. I am not an ob/gyn, but my thoughts are the wod as prescribed might be a bit much for you at this time. I'm not sure if Annie nursed or not, but my thoughts are that you are expending alot of energy in recovering from childbirth, and in producing milk for your little one. I'm not sure I would add a whole lot of additional stress to that. Squats would be good to bring your pelvic floor muscles back to stability, and some scaled down wod's might be ok if you are very disciplined and will listen to your body. I would talk to your doctor about what exactly you are planning on doing, and I'm sure you would get good advice. Doctors are all messed up over squats, but they see the benefits of exercise. I'm blushing as I also recommend kegels as an exercise to do several times a day.

Last edited by Shawn Morton; 02-27-2009 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: there were two reply's with the exact same message
Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Sarah Nissen

Profile:

Hi everyone,

I should have mentioned that I am 2 years post-partum. Thanks for the link - I will contact her.

Sarah
Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Cathy Staelgraeve

Profile:

If you're two years post-partum I'm sure your body will easily adjust to crossfit work outs.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally did not experience any loss of milk supply with intense exercise.

Remember too that lactation keeps up the body's production of relaxin, so pay extra attention to protect your joints.