CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
I just don't get it...throughout three years at the AF Academy, two years of HS cross-country, and three years as a marathoner, I have never done anything that makes me want to throw up like Crossfit workouts. What is it about Crossfit that makes it so unsettling on the stomache? It's a good feeling of accomplishment I guess, but not so good for evening dinner plans...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
nobody better say its lactic acid....thats old school.

one theory says it is a high level of endorphins getting into the GI tract.

as most people know, demands of exercise/muscles shunt blood away from the gi tract.

higher levels of ein (exercise induced nausea) are associated with food in the stomache prior to exercise
Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Um... exercise? Sorry, it's been a rough morning and I really want to share my misery.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:
Exercise moves blood into the muscles, and away from the intestinal tract/stomach. So if you have half-digested food sitting in there still, and then exercise vigorously, it can come back up. Slow digesters or people who are more naturally inclined to vomit are obviously more at risk. Being in this category, I really can't eat anything for 3-4 hours before I hit the gym. It takes me forever to digest anything.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Scott Borre

Profile:
Motion sickness can be a part (and yeah food in the stomach that isn't sitting right for sure).

Oxygen deficiency is another major part.

Overheating is another part.

I find that I feel sickish after almost every workout... except for long runs. But I beat my previous Michael time today by almost 7 minutes (from 31 something to a tad over 25 mins). So something is working.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Ryan, try running sets of the lower distances such as 330 to 880. Add in things like heat, dehydration, and food and voila.
I never had a problem during the distance runs. Maybe some cramps but those goes away. As for the 400 or 800, or doing training sets or sprint ladders...
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Adam Acosta

Profile:
I think your cross-country team wasn't training hard enough in high school. My teammates were puking in practice all the time. Incidentally, we won two California state championships while I was there.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Hmm, interesting. I don't remember ever puking from xcountry or distance runs. I do remember collapsing after stopping the run.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
Andrew J. Roberts

Profile:
Never puked after a XC run, but puked after every competive 800m. (State Qualifier) Without understanding the biology of it, its apparent that its very much anaerobically related. The 800m is one of the most extended anarobic activities out there. Same with the 200m swim.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Ran Track and Field for 7 years. My 6th year I trained the hardest, sprinted the fastest, and did the best out of any other year. But it wasn't until year 7 when I started puking nearly every single practice.

Tried tweaking the diet - no help. Went to the doctor - he told me it was possible that, if I had put on a lot of muscle over the course of the year, the blood was not reaching my brain well enough, a migrane would ensue, which triggered the vommiting.

To this day I can't do a full sprint workout how I used to without puking.