CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Jamie Sutton

Profile:
Bodyfat Accuracy

How accurate is the body fat calculator found at http://www.drsears.com/ZoneResources...4/Default.aspx

Is it more likely to be high or low? I have a very thick body frame and have always been very short and stocky, just wondering what I need to be looking at. My stats right now are. 5 foot 6.5 inches. 215 lbs, 38 inch waist, and 8.5 inch wrist.

According to this calculator that puts me at 17 percent body fat, 178lbs of lean body mass. That's kind of frustrating for me, since I'm a BJJ and muy thai guy, and my goal is to get down to 185 weight class by March. It seems like that would be a near impossible goal for me, and also seems like I'd have to lose lean muscle mass as well to pull off.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Ben Skinner

Profile:
Re: Bodyfat Accuracy

I ran my numbers through it to compare with measurements taken with calipers a month ago. It was off on the low side by approximately 40%. Does not seem to accurate too me. Though I wish the numbers it punched out were accurate.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Terry Dickman

Profile:

When you say you want to get down to 185 weight class, are you competing in wrestling or something? If not, maybe just focus on losing body fat.

None of the calculators like the Dr Sears are very accurate. They are mainly based off averages, if you are not an average perosn it could be way off. I have the same problem. My brother in-law owned a business where they traveled around to gyms, business, hospitals, etc and measured body fat%, they used the water displacement method. If your goal is to lose body fat, as long as you use the same method consistently you should be OK.

This website has some good info.
http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat...ight-loss.html

The most accurate way to measure body fat percentage is with the water displacement method. This is done by completely submerging you in a tank of water and measuring the overall displacement. Because fat is less dense than muscle and bones, it is relatively straight forward to estimate percentage of body fat. However, this is often expensive and time consuming to perform, and cannot be performed in the home.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Jamie Sutton

Profile:

Well okay, so far on the wrist/waist method I've got 17 percent. On the waist/neck method I've got 21. On the electrical impedence method I've got 30 on the handheld and 25 on the scale. So it looks like the average is probably abou 23 percent. I don't have calipers. I've been looking for a place to get the underwater testing done, but everytime I google all I get is a bunch of spam sites, I guess my google-fu is weak.

Terry, I compete in BJJ tournaments, and hopefully as my training progresses by this time next year I will be skilled and fit enough to begin competing in regional MMA promotions, that's my goal for me and my coaches anyway. Because my height is only 5'6", we think 185 lbs would be a good weight class for me that is within realistic reach of my body type.. I used to be in the Marine Corps, and after boot I was 181 and about 11 percent body fat, so hopefully 185 is a sustainable goal
Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Sutton View Post
I don't have calipers. I've been looking for a place to get the underwater testing done, but every time I google all I get is a bunch of spam sites, I guess my google-fu is weak.

Try calling local globos and asking them if they know anyone. My brother inlaws business frequented many of them. It use to cost $25 to get tested, but that was in the 80's. I tested at 8% back then in water, but all other methods put me at close to 20%.

I checked google real quick and found this one in TN.
http://www.getdunked.com
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Wow, according to that DrSears web site, I'm 8% body fat. I think NOT!!!

I got measured in the water tank at UCSB exactly a month ago. I was 24.8%. Since then, I've lost a little bit more body fat, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say I might be down to 22%...just a guess, but, no way am I only 8%.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Wow, according to that DrSears web site, I'm 8% body fat. I think NOT!!!

I got measured in the water tank at UCSB exactly a month ago. I was 24.8%. Since then, I've lost a little bit more body fat, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say I might be down to 22%...just a guess, but, no way am I only 8%.

I haven't had the water testing done in years, I use to get it done for free since my brother in-law owned the business, he sold it long ago. So how much do they charge at UCSB? My daughter is a sophomore there. She just came home tonight for Thanksgiving.

After a 2 years there she has became a health food nut, which I think is great. We have family in Morro Bay so we try to make it down there as much as possible.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Dickman View Post
I haven't had the water testing done in years, I use to get it done for free since my brother in-law owned the business, he sold it long ago. So how much do they charge at UCSB? My daughter is a sophomore there. She just came home tonight for Thanksgiving.

After a 2 years there she has became a health food nut, which I think is great. We have family in Morro Bay so we try to make it down there as much as possible.
Hi Terry!

For non-students, they charge $30. For students it must be cheaper or free, not sure. If you're interested in doing it, you need an appt.. They only do it Mon-thurs, between 1 and 3 (or 4?)pm. The number is 805-893-4000.

That's cool that your daughter is picking up good eating habits at college! Usually it's the other way around.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Jamie Sutton

Profile:

Hrm. Well, from the different tests, I'd say I'm probably in the 20-23 range. Gotta get that down to the 10ish range! That getdunked place that Terry linked me to charges 50 bucks, that's not so bad, I think I just found what I'm gonna ask for as Christmas present. You can get the water dunking and resting metabolic rate tested for 100 bucks.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Andrew Kent Johnston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Sutton View Post
Hrm. Well, from the different tests, I'd say I'm probably in the 20-23 range. Gotta get that down to the 10ish range! That getdunked place that Terry linked me to charges 50 bucks, that's not so bad, I think I just found what I'm gonna ask for as Christmas present. You can get the water dunking and resting metabolic rate tested for 100 bucks.
I think that might be the saddest christmas gift request I've ever heard of...