CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Sean Kane

Profile:
Why can't I get under ~12% bodyfat?

It seems short of doing a bodybuilder type contest cut, I cannot seem to get below around 12% bodyfat. I am just at the breaking point where I would truly be lean, but I cannot **** the last 5 or so lbs of flab. I eat a strict Zone with Paleo friendly foods (15 blocks) 95% or more of the time, at a bodyweight of 170 lbs and a LBM of ~150 lbs. I do have 1-2 cheat meals a week, but there does have to be a point where being human and having friends and being social comes into play. I feel like I can't reach my sub 10% bodyfat goal without shunning my friends and family and becoming a recluse. I guess if that is what it takes to get my bodyfat to those levels, I would never keep it that low because I just wouldn't be enjoying life at all. Is there something I am missing here, or does it really require being strict 100% of the time?

Maybe I should try ketosis or something?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: Why can't I get under ~12% bodyfat?

If you are eating Paleo and zoning a 15 blocks while weighing and measuring while still having problems I am not sure what to tell you.

If you are on this board I assume you are working out hard, sleeping 8 hours a night and taking your fish oil.

Although if you are KIND OF zoning and eating KIND OF paleo foods I would say weigh and measure everything for two weeks and go only paleo. When I ate Paleo I could hardly get enough carbs to call it zone.

Keep in mind also what one person considers a cheat meal is 300 cal desert, what another considers a cheat meal is 3,000 cals of chicken wings, chips and beer. Do that twice a week and all bets are off.

Last edited by Craig Van De Walker; 05-22-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Could you do a food log at Fitday for a week, including cheat meals? It'd be helpful and easier for us to make suggestions..
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Sean Kane

Profile:

I do usually end up a little low on carbs and high on fat, closer to 30/30/40. I don't take fish oil, not sure if that could be the deciding factor. I guess it is possible that my cheat meals could be undoing my work for the week, is there a rough idea as to what I should limit my cheats to that won't throw me out of whack? I have been trying to keep a "fit day" going, but haven't been as diligent as I could have with adding it all in there. Here it is so far, but it probably isn't complete enough to be of any use.

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJourn...slyblackdragon
Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
Scott Clark

Profile:

Fruit punch and potato chips

If it's a cheat, no sweat. However, seeing how your question is about why you can't get below 12%, having pure junk in the diet (if those things are regulars) is the main culprit. On the day you just posted, you had 55g of refined, no nutrient sugar. Not good.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Hi Sean, it's a bit difficult to tell from your Fitday log. I'd suggest checking out the Fast Loss section of Mike's IF Life blog http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/ (WFS) as well as posting on the Performance Menu forums http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/index.php (WFS) in relation to fine-tuning your Zone-Paleo diet.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Sean if you're really serious about it then don't cheat at all!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

sean,
just signed up for fitday. How do you get the link for your foods like you posted above?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Sean Kane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
Fruit punch and potato chips

If it's a cheat, no sweat. However, seeing how your question is about why you can't get below 12%, having pure junk in the diet (if those things are regulars) is the main culprit. On the day you just posted, you had 55g of refined, no nutrient sugar. Not good.
Yeah, that was obviously a cheat. As I posted in the journal above, it was a graduation party. The previous meals that day were what my usual diet is like. Usually around 1500 cals in a 30/30/40 ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren C Ellison View Post
sean,
just signed up for fitday. How do you get the link for your foods like you posted above?
Once you log in, look on the left hand side and click on the tab that says "Home". Scroll down the to public, there should be a button that says something about making your journal public. Click it, and a link should be generated for your journal. If you can get it, message me and I will try to explain it better.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Larry A Henrikson

Profile:

Do some searching on T-nation.com, it's a bodybuilding site and they have some articles about shedding those last few pounds. It's probably the hardest thing for a bodybuilder to do. You'll really have to restrict that diet and burn a lot more calories.