CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Russell Mueller

Profile:
Fractured pelvis -- don't want to lose my progress!

I've been doing crossfit for about 2 months and have drunk deep the kool-aid... Last Friday I was in an ATV accident while riding in the Imperial Sand Dunes and ended up with a minor fracture of the pelvis and some seriously nasty bruising on one leg.

I'm jonesing for the WOD's, but still in pain. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for crossfit-style workouts that I can use in the interim. I'm concerned about prolonging my recovery time by stressing the injury.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Re: Fractured pelvis -- don't want to lose my progress!

I am no expert by any means, but one thing I have noticed about most of the movements in the Crossfit arsenal is that they emphasize the power generated by opening the hips. With an injury like yours I would assume that resting until full recovery would be the best choice. I'm sure some more experience and knowledge will chime in soon.

Good Luck, I know being injured sucks. I just went through a shoulder injury and I received a lot of good advice from this board.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Now is a good time to work your upper body strength (and possibly flexibility).

Do not aggravate your injury.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Mary Everett

Profile:

As a recently grad with a physical therapy degree, I agree with the previous entry that suggested to work your upper body. Your pelvis is the where all your core and leg muscles attach. When you increase their tension, you put a strain on the pelvis. Continual strain will not just "extend" your recovery but if severe enough, could cause further damage. Depending on the degree of the fracture, a strong enough pull on the pelvis could cause the fracture site to become misaligned. If it were to then heal in that position, all your muscles would then be at a disadvantage. Initially as we develop, we are, for the most part, in good alignment. It is over the course of our lives with various stresses and forces that these alignments are disrupted, allowing injuries to result.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Matt Emery

Profile:

Now would also be a good time to be creative and make your own WODs that work around an injured pelvis. For example;

Elvis
5 rounds for time of;
  • Pull Ups x 8 reps
  • Renegades x 8 reps
  • Shoulder Press x 8 reps
  • Dips x 8 reps

Perhaps get some friends to join in so you don't feel like you're sitting on the bench.

Creating WODs is great fun, and it's something I often do out of necessity E.g. my disability, and the odd injury the crops up.

Creating WODS is also a good way to get a deeper understanding of Crossfit.

But most importantly... enjoy yourself
Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

IN all honesty I think now might be a time to let your body heal!! If you workout, you will be releasing cortisol in your system which inhibits healing in other areas. Let the inflammation subside. Practice focus and visualization!!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

Russell-

I feel you man. Last week during Lynne, I gave it my all on the last pullup and lost my grip. Fell right off the bar and landed on my hip. The bruise is fine, but something in the front of my hip got jarred. I can't do anything that involves hip flexion without feeling some pain. (which like Joe said, is most of Crossfit). I've tried doing some upper body stuff, but even that involves hip support. I was at the gym this morning, tried some bench presses, standing presses, stiff-legged deadlifts. Some of it felt okay but it was still aggravating the hip. So I got in the pool and just walked around. Try the pool. You'll get just a little more range of motion. For me, I've noticed that things feel a lot better when warm. Outside in Vermont hurts but the gym hot tub felt great. But, I understand your frustration. I felt so useless this morning. I don't want to rest. But I think we need to.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Russell Mueller

Profile:

Many thanks to everyone for the replies. I tried some gentle upper-body stuff, but it still hurts in the core/flexor area. I guess you're right -- just heal.

I suppose this would be an ideal time to get my diet in shape...crud. I was hoping to avoid that...

I'll probably start with some flexibility stuff (gentle slow yoga, for example), once the swelling/bruising subsides.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
David Aguasca

Profile:

how about this: along with the mental skill development, learn some physical skills that test hand/eye coordination. the one that comes to mind is juggling. ever since i learned to juggle i've been catching things that fall off shelves left and right. it's a really fun way to pass your time.

maybe learn to play an instrument?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hubbard View Post
I feel you man. Last week during Lynne, I gave it my all on the last pullup and lost my grip. Fell right off the bar and landed on my hip. The bruise is fine, but something in the front of my hip got jarred.
Okay now that's just bizarre Daniel - because 3 weeks ago I was doing the Lynne, lost my grip on my first set of pullups and fell ribs first on a box and broke some ribs. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this Lynne-mishap!

To the original poster, Russell -- I know it's really frustrating to go from high intensity to zero intensity, but your body needs to focus it's energy on healing for a little bit. Be nice to yourself and let it heal unhindered, then ease yourself back in. In the long run you'll heal faster and have fewer recurring issues with it.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com