CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
I currently am unable to do strict, correct HSPU's. Its a balance thing, and I dont ever have a spotter to help keep my feet straight while I try to balance on my own.
Instead what I do, like a lot of people is simply get my feet up as high as possible, either on a wall or like today, a bar, and do the HSPU's in that way.
My question is this:
Am I better doing it in the way I just described, or am I better off doing it with heavy dumbells, doing shoulder presses, till I can get my balance sorted out over time with the help of a spotter??
Does anyone have tips on practicing my balancing, to prepare for HSPU's?
Thanks
Steveo
Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Steve,

You have to be a very good gymnast indeed to be able to do free-standing HSPU, so don't worry! I would do them with your feet against a wall, perhaps kicking off from the wall every now and then and balancing for as long as possible before coming back to the wall. This will build lots of strength and get you to being able to do free-standing ones much quicker than shoulder presses will.

Also, practise handstands in your free time to improve your balance. At the moment, I've been practising kicking up into a handstand, then rolling out of it if I lose my balance forward. From your previous posts, I know you're a big guy (I'm not exactly small myself!) so it might be a bit nerve-wracking at first, but if you use a cushion or something to help break your fall you soon pick up the technique and it becomes a smooth moovement. My handstands have improved from about 1-2 seconds to about 3-4 seconds over the past three weeks or so - not much, but I'm moving in the right direction!

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Greg Amundson does Diane's HSPU's against the wall, and so does nearly everyone else.