CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I've found that, by and large, the only meal of the day where I'm delivering carbs primarily with vegetables is dinner -- I just can't seem to find out how to get vegetables in there when I'm out and about, since I'm usually packing a lunch and can't figure out what to use. I was using fruit heavily, but I've found that I don't do well with more than a piece at a time and sometimes not that. Fat's easy with nuts and protein's easy with something like turkey, but carbs are tough. Can anyone suggest something that's portable and easy to bring with you, and Zone-favorable?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Can you pack a salad to go? Do you ever stop at the local market? Could you pick up those bags of premixed greens (organic being the best choice)?

I am on 10 blocks a day and generally brown bag my lunch too. It usually consists of salad and/or some greens (1 carb)from dinner the night before and either eggs/salmon/sardine/meat (2 protein), some dressing, olives or nuts as fat(2 fats). Then for my second carb its generally fruit of some sort!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
All you purists are going to gasp, but I love to eat cold green beans out of the can (one bean salad). I also like cold stewed tomatoes. Cut up cucumber and put in a zip bag with half white vinegar and water and some fresh ground pepper. The vinegar will help keep them from spoiling. Also do the same with hickama, but sprinkle it with some lime/chili pepper powder….. Available in the Mexican food isle. Pickled mixed veggies also keeps well as does Mexican hot carrots.

For some different raw vegetables try cut up raw turnip. I hate them cooked but they are great raw. Or, try pealed broccoli stems. They taste a lot like celery, but sweeter. I also love snow peas, and they store well.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Sarena, the problem I have with salads is that it's just so hard to get volume. You have half as many blocks as me, which probably helps; if I tried to get most of my carbs in a meal from salad, I'd be eating by the bucket!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Brandon, what about eating 1/2 from veggies and salad then the other half from low glyvemic fruit? That might be an option.

Are you strict paleo? If not, you could always do some grain--rice, millet, quinoa etc. and mix that into salad.

Today I tried something and really liked it--chopped endive w/ crushed pineapple and some walnut oil. It was really good!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Nikki Young

Profile:
Maybe you could try sweet potato? Boiled or put in the oven to cook the night before taking it with you. Sweet Potato is pretty high in carbs, but nutritious as well so along with other veggies lower in GI, i wouldn't say it'ld be bad, especially if you're eating it in correct blocks. Maybe pumpkin as well, 1 cup = 1 block carb (if i remember correctly). I like pumpkin in salads...

Or maybe just sub the extra carbs you are finding hard to consume with good fats, block for block. If it's one meal it shouldn't make too much difference, especially if you're getting pretty much the same amount of calories and energy going into the body anyway.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:
I had to laugh Bobbi, because you used the phonetic spelling of "jicama". And the stuff you put on it is pico de gaillo, not the fake lime/chili pepper, but the REAL stuff you can get at a Mexican food store.

Jicama is great raw (I suggest you peel it under COLD water, this is how they do it in Mexico) and slice it chip style and sprinkle with pico de gaillo. It will taste a bit earthy this way but it is enjoyable. Or, if you are feeling you want to Americanize it, cut into chips and briefly fry in olive oil until the edges are brown and crispy, then immediately sponge excess oil off with a paper towel and sprinkle the pico de gaillo on. The frying will lessen the heat of the pico and brings out the sweetness of the jicama.

Another thing I do is cut it into very small french fry like sticks raw and toss into a salad.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Hi Brandon

I find the best way is to buy raw veggies and prepare then in the morning - like carrots, brocolli, cauliflower etc and put them in an airtight container. Takes no time at all to wash and trim them, Then you can snack on them all day. I also enjoy eating avocados by cutting them in half and scooping the flesh out with a spoon - no mess or fuss. On the point about washing - always wash your fruit and veg esp the bagged lettuce you can buy - most of them say "washed and ready for use" but they are washed with chlorinated water!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Joshua Bird

Profile:
To pump up the volume of my salads I have been adding 2 blocks of either black beans or kidney beans straight out of the can. I hear what you are saying though, I am on 19 blocks per day and getting the majority of carbs from veggies is tough!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
George: Thanks for the correction, and the ideas, I am always on the fast track. I found that some of our audience is in parts of the world where they can’t get the kinds of international foods that I can find on the shelf, and so I try to use simplified explanations.