CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Brian O'Neill

Profile:
Starting on the Zone : Where to start ?

Guys,

Trying to sort out my diet. Really interested in giving the Zone diet a go. Should I buy the book(s) ? Should I just use CFJ 21 ?

Any advice on what I need to read, links etc... much appreciated.

Cheers,
Brian.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: Starting on the Zone : Where to start ?

CFJ 21 will get you started and has some good recipes to follow. I'd jump in w/ that and then read the book as you go. That will give you the science behind the diet.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

Thansk for that.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

I too just started the zone. Search the forum boards for George Mounce's "Zone Calculator" (an excel spreadsheet). Also search for Jay Cohen's posts. Based on his online advice, I've started tracking my nutritional input on fitday.com. Personally, I am finding that though I eat pretty clean, my morning was very heavy carb-wise and my fat intake (nuts and EVO) were very high. Good luck dialing it all in.

Oh, www.zonediet.com has some good info too.
--Wade
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

Cheers for that also. Found the excel spreadsheet. Looks helpful.

One question though...how do I determine my blocks ? I guesstimate I am "large male" so 19 blocks but is there more to calculating this ?

btw...I'm 6 1", 196lbs
Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Brian O'Neill

Profile:

Guys,

I have been doing some googleing and have a few quesitons....
Forgive my ignorance as I haven't got the book yet...its ordered though

Anyay, CFJ 21 says
Oatmeal 1/3 cup is 1 Block.

So I looked at my Flahavans Organic Porridge Oats this morning and got the following...
100g (386kcal : 11.1g Protein, 77g Carb, 5.5g Fat).

Now how can 1 Cup of Porridge be 3P when its mainly Carbs ?
How can any food be just F, P or C ? Are almost all not a combination ?

Really confused here

Trying to come up with a breakfast schedule for next week to ease my way in *hope to add lunch after that etc...) but finding it difficult to put blocks to amounts of food.

Help appreciated
Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
Chris Worrall

Profile:

Hi Brian,

you only count the 1/3 cup of oatmeal towards your carb blocks, you still need to balance that with extra blocks of protein and fat.

Because measuring out cooked porridge is a bit messy you can also work out how much dry oats to cook from the nutritional information. If there are 77g of Carb per 100g (1 block of Carb is 9g) then there are about 8.5 blocks per 100g so go for about 10-12g of raw oats per block.

You generaly only count a food towards the macro-nutirent that it has most of. eg meat, only counts as protein, veggies as carbs, nuts as fat etc. even if they contain additional fat/carb/protein. The exceptions being those in the combo items list which are counted as protein and carb (milk, yogurt etc).

The only other things I can think of to get you started would be that if you have a "fat free" or "very low fat" protein source (protein powder is one example I can think of) then you should double the amount of fat blocks, otherwise your body starts using the protein for energy instead of repairing your body. Also don't worry if you can't eat 3 whole lettuce for your carb blocks, who can? Being light on the carbs side won't do you much harm and if you are getting hungry between meals/snacks then you aren't eating enough protein or fat, Increase these not the carbs.

It all sounds really complicated but, once you get used to the approx quantities you need for each meal then it gets easier and it works!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

It can be confusing as all the quantities are in 'cups'

I say go with 1/2 oz dry for 1 block.

Do you have time to make breakfast in the morning? A perfect 4 block breakfast would be a 3 egg omelete with either an ounce of cheese or ham, plenty of veggies (as many as you can get in there) and then some fruit... most fruits (apples, oranges, grapefruits etc.) are 2 blocks each, so if you can get 2 blocks of veggies into the omelet or on the side, you are good (4c brocolli = 2 blocks, but you can use a variation of veggies)

if you want to do the oatmeal, 2oz dry oatmeal (about 50g or so), with a scoop of whey and a handful of almonds/spoon of nut butter. Count your almonds out if you are being strict with fat.

another quick breakfast option is cottage cheese with fruit and nuts (if you like cc) I think one block of cottage cheese is about 75g so if the tub is 1lb/454g then about 3/4 of it would be your 4 blocks of protein.

or you could make a smoothie with protein, berries, oil/nuts etc.