CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #821
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Thank you!

After sleeping on more night over it I think I'll do the basic or one of the weightlifting templates of GSLP plus a few technique exercises as a warm up.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #822
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Hey Eric - noticed you stopped logging your GSLP workouts on the SV forum. Is that forum is pretty dead now? If I start following GSLP, where should i log it to get some feedback, here?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #823
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Hey Eric - noticed you stopped logging your GSLP workouts on the SV forum. Is that forum is pretty dead now? If I start following GSLP, where should i log it to get some feedback, here?
Yeah, I stopped logging on there because it was a pain in the *** dealing with every post requiring moderation and with no one posting on there anymore. It used to be really active with people like Wendler running subforums, but look on there now and you'll see that the last post in the discussion forum was a week ago.

You can create a log on here and get feedback, or just create a free blogspot account and link to it in the workout logs forum on here. I'd recommend the latter approach just for backing-up purposes. Plenty of people on this board have done GSLP at one time or another and can give you advice.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #824
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
Progress so far and several questions

Hi Guys,

Been on GSLP 5 months already and seen pretty good gains. These are my starting and current AMRAP sets:

- Squat 165x11 ---> 308x4 - had 1 reset after 290x3, now am on my 2nd reset.
Had 1 week off after 308x4 and this Monday resetted to 277, squatted it for 9 in the AMRAP set but felt very hard (the previous time at that weight did 11) and now my legs feel sore as hell. How do you suggest to handle rest periods? I need them every couple of months or so when I get beat-up from all the heavy weights (especially squats).

- DL 242x10 ---> 335x9 - no resets so far, feels great.

- Bench - due to shoulder injury had to reset big time and am currently at 176x12.
- Press - same as bench, currently am at 118x9.

BW has gone up from 167 to 185, almost lean muscles, except for loosing the lower pair of my 6 pack

As assistance work I do weighted chins, curls and power cleans(DL warm-up), FM chins and push-ups as is outlined in the program. I've also added rows twice a week.

Got several questions regarding the assistance work:
- on the FM chins reached 5x13, 5 days a week and now resetted to 5x10 cause they started to take their toll. Shall I start using ladders or just keep progressing as I am (adding 1 rep per set each week and reducing the volume when I start to feel it)?
- How the row scheme looks like? Yates are every Mon 2x6-8 and 1-arm DB rows are every Fri 2x15-20, trying to progress in weights or reps each workout.
- Power cleans - here's my last weights/rep scheme that I used prior DL - bar x5, 100x4, 132x3, 154x2, 187x3(sets)x1, 209x1, 225x1; reps are always the same but I increase the weight every workout, the last set is very close to my 1RM(abt 95% or more). After that a do 2 DL warm-ups and then the AMRAP set. Am I doing too much or it's fine that way?
- Due to lack of time presently I'm limitting the exercises per workout to 3 - so will do only 1 assistance exercise - I'm dropping the curls and will rotate between rows and weighted chins. What is the best way to do it? On an A/B fashion? Or rows on Mon&Fri and chins on Wed. Don't think that I should do rows on Wed having in mind that I'm doing power cleans and DL then but I might be wrong.

Would be glad to hear your opinions and comments.

Thanks,
Vlad
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #825
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Anyone who got the gslp book also get the swole diet one too? If so what kinda thimgs you been eating and what kinda quantities?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #826
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So I did about 2.5 months of GSLP and pretty much did no CrossFit WODs the entire time, really focused on getting my strength up. I decided to take this week, do the programming at my box and just have fun with it. I really like being back, doing WODs, but I also don't want my strength to suffer. We always start our WODs w a strength portion but I like having completely structured, consistent strength schedule. So, my question is this: What is the best marriage of the two without overtraining myself?

I was thinking maybe:
Monday: WOD
Tuesday: GSLP
Wednesday: WOD
Thursday: GSLP
Friday: Off
Saturday: WOD then open gym to practice OLY lifts.

I was doing cardio in the morning previously when I was doing only strength. Mostly just rowing and ab work. I'd like to maintain that 2-3 days during the week but I don't know if that's overkill or not.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #827
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Anyone who got the gslp book also get the swole diet one too? If so what kinda thimgs you been eating and what kinda quantities?
When I was following SWOLE's recommendations I was eating probably ~90% Paleo with lots of meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and adding in 1-2 whey and oats shakes per day for extra calories. I just stuck to the basic approach for carb/protein quantities and for the carb curfew.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #828
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
When I was following SWOLE's recommendations I was eating probably ~90% Paleo with lots of meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and adding in 1-2 whey and oats shakes per day for extra calories. I just stuck to the basic approach for carb/protein quantities and for the carb curfew.
Swole recommends ~9 fist sized portions of rice or other carbs per day. How were you keeping up w that doing 90% paleo?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #829
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I should have clarified...~90% Paleo aside from the rice/oats/whey, but I don't consider rice/oats to be too far from Paleo anyways. And sometimes I'd just load up on sweet potatoes for my dense carbs.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #830
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Like I wrote a few pages before I am doing GSLP right now with Olympic Lifting technique as warm up. With adding 2.5 or 5 kg each workout I am still "10ish" in all the exercises. So everything works fine. But now I get a big problem with the scheduling of my workouts.
My weightlifting club is open from monday till friday from 4:30 pm to 9 pm. I am also doing a WOD like training on wednesday and sunday at 5:30 pm at a MMA club.
So the best days for GSLP would be monday, wednesday, friday. But wednesday is not possible, because the weightlifting club is opening at a time when it is not possible doing the GSLP workout before the WOD starts. The MMA club is not in the same place and will at least take 20 minutes to get there. Also there is not enough equipment at the MMA club to do the workout there.
So how would you do GSLP 3 times a week with that scenario?

Stefan