CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Jim Burnett

Profile:
Hello & thank you for allowing me to post here.

A friend of mine shared the requirements for a person to become a Level IV or Elite crossfitter. He showed me this blog: http://crossfitblackbelt.blogspot.com & I've been trying to find out more about Elite Crossfitters.

Now, my cyberbuddy Lincoln B. has informed me that no one has actually done this yet & that this has been sort of discussed to death so I will try to be brief.

I'm basically just curious as to how far anyone has gone down the path towards elite. I am interested in knowing how close anyone has come to achieving all of those goals. Was there any kind of list with names & details?

Or was this something that never really took off & isn't really being considered as a goal at this time.

Thanks so much for any responses.

Jim

Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
David Werner

Profile:
Hi Jim

The Athletic Skill Levels
http://www.crossfitnorth.com/article..._Standards.pdf

have been posted for a few months now and many people are working through them. Lots of athletes posess some of the skills at Level 3 or even Level 4. I have not heard yet of any one who can do all the tasks required of Level 4 within one month.

No one task at any of the Levels is all that impressive by itself (except maybe the pullups) but the combination of abilities is rare. It will take most of us years of smart training to get Elite status.

Where would you say you fall in the levels, and has looking at them helped you to target your training any?

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i can't believe someone actually found my blog.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

Jim Burnett, I'm sinai16 from power and bulk. My workout log is in the WOD section under the Transition. Andrew G. above is working towards the same goal. We both have a long ways to go.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hi Jim,

I'm using the Skill Standards to chart/focus my progress. I have the following still to do before calling Level II complete:
1) 30 KB Snatch(don't own a KB or 24kg. DB)
2) 45 1/2 BW Thrusters(haven't attempted but estimate only good for about 30 reps currently)
3) Both Rows-no rower, no idea what I'm capable of with these.
4) MuscleUP- just received my rings today!!! so we'll see.
5) All runs over 400m. The 7:00 mile will ultimately be the hardest event for me on the Level II list.

I'm good to go on the rest of L2 as probably most 'average Joe's' like me are. I follow the daily WOD as far as training goes. I'll do additional stuff like parallete work, boxing, tire-flipping before or after most workouts. Time permitting I'll add a total immersion swim course in Sept.

I think this list is a great indicator/motivator and want to say big thanks to Mr. Dave Werner for sharing it.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Jim Burnett

Profile:
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Dave, honestly that list is so far out there for me I don't believe that there's any possible way I could get all of those goals within 30 days of each other ever in my lifetime. I just wanted to see how far the best of the best crossfitters had achieved towards elite status. I would love to see some kind of ranking of "competitors" for each of the categories, though. For instance like the concept2 site has for erg rowers, or PLUSA has for top 100, etc. It would be fun to know who has the current TOP SPOT for this challenge.

Now, to answer your question quantitatively & to share a bit about myself here you go: I'm looking at the page 11, 12 of your skill levels sheet. I'm not familiar with all of the exercises, but I'll do my best to estimate where I would fall for each category, or use actual numbers where possible. For reference I'm 32, 230 lbs, 6'2. I compete (poorly) in push/pull powerlifting.

Pistols - 0
free squats - 100+
Squat - 405 x 3
pushups 50+
Bench - 407 (w/ shirt) ~350-360 w/o shirt
rope climb - no idea.
situps - many more than 30
v-ups - ?
OH squat - 155?
kettlebells swings-?
2db clean & jerk - ?
400 meter run- hahahahahahaha.
deadlift 512 w/ suit. ~490+ w/o suit
military press ?
handstand pushups. zero I'm sure.
Clean ~200?
knees to chest?
hanging knees to elbows?
hanging straight leg raise ~15-20--If this is what I think it is.
front lever?
wall ball, thrusters, sandbag carries, 800 meter run. no idea.
500m row ?
vertical jump ?
dips 30+
dips ~ +100 for 2 reps
pullups 11
L-sit ?
row 2k or 6k ?
snatch ?
chelsea, mary, helen, christine ?
Mile run ~7:30

Old 08-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
John Daniel

Profile:
Dave,

I assume the pull ups are kipping. Please confirm this is your intent.

I really like your standards and use them to give me a goal. I have been focusing on my weakest link until I know it off, then I move on to the next one. I just hit my 150% of bw DL!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Nice work John

CI
Old 08-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
David Werner

Profile:
John

All kipping pull-ups until Level 4 where dead hangs are specified. Good work and I'm glad you're finding the levels usefull

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North