CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #31
Russ Greene

Profile:

Well yeah, you can be sure that when I can clean and jerk 225 for reps, everyone within 5 miles of Georgetown's campus will know about it, whether or not they know it's a weightlifting exercise or think it's some kind of sick hazing ritual.

By the way Tom, I saw you're training at Krav Maga DC. I don't know how you did it, but good job. Looks like your a much better diplomat than I am.

8/23
Woke up in a bad mood and in bad shape physically, so took it easy today. Barely did any front lever work, then:

4 rounds in 17:07
200 rotations jump rope
30 squats
30 pushups
30 one arm snatches with 30 lb. db, 15 per arm

This was a hard workout, but in a familiar sort of way, meaning that it won't really drain my recovery at all but still packed a metabolic whallup.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #32
Tom Brose

Profile:
The Krav thing is cool. I met one of the guys who teaches there, and he trains with someone I have known for years. He was really excited to find me, because he really wants to get into CrossFit. Also wants to get me working with his guys. However, the woman who runs Krav DC is appaertly very set in her ways, and is Anti-CrossFit (also anti-grappling, even though it is part of their curriculum). Anyways, he came to an understanding with her, and so he has an open mat session after the regular classes leave. I am finishing off the class with some CrossFit (Cindy on the playground, C+J with cinderblocks etc)

So you will be rolling soon Russ.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #33
Russ Greene

Profile:

Sweet, good work Tom.

I've been feeling like complete crap lately, possibly due to self-imposed stress, possibly due to my lackluster diet. Whatever the cause, I'm sick of it and I'm going to get better as soon as possible so that I can get back on track.

8/25
4 X 130 meter sprints. I exploded well but my conditioning was suspect.

Then lots of close grip overhead squats working on squat form. Felt too weak to do anything else.

8/26
3 rounds for time
1000m row
20 pullups
30 box jumps at 25 inches

20:59

Not very happy about this time as it was 3 minutes slower than Brendan G. did. The pullups sucked as I have not practiced many high rep kipping pullups in a long time.

I'm leaving CA to return to DC tomorrow, so today was my last workout of the summer at Crossfit Santa Cruz. It was good to see Greg A., Brendan, Hollis, and Danielle again.

I was thinking about the schedule I was on, and I think that doing heavy snatches, heavy overhead squats, and heavy deadlifts, almost twice a week was way too much, in addition to everything else I wanted to do. I also was mostly ignoring my mixed modal workouts, which meant I lost ground in that respect. I think it might be time to reconsider my training program. Maybe this:

Day 1:
AM: 4-6 100-200m sprints
PM: 8 X 2 snatch with 1-3 overhead squats at the end of each set, 5 X 5 deadlift, 3 sets db clean and push press

Day 2:
AM: mixed modal workout with lots of rowing
PM: off

Day 3:
AM: lever, planche, l-hold work, handstands, muscleups
PM: several rounds for time of high rep pullups, pushups, situps and squats (20-30-40-50, or 100-100-100-100 or something like that)

Day 4:
rest

Day 5:
AM: sprints
PM: Clean and jerks - 10 heavy singles
Back squat - 5 X 5
One arm hangs - 3 sets

Day 6:
AM: long distance rowing, 30-45 minutes

Day 7:
AM: lever, planche, l-hold, handstands, muscleups
PM: max rounds in 20 minutes of lower reps pullups, pushups, and squats ( 5-10-15, 10-20-30 etc)

Day 8:
rest

The thing about this stuff is that there's so much you have to be good at, and if you focus on any one thing too long, you lose ground in everything else. This summer I got a lot stronger in low rep weightlifting and gymnastics, made decent progress in rowing and sprinting, and maintained my ability with Cindy and Angie-type high rep bodyweight workouts. If it was up to me all I would do would be high rep conditioning workouts, running, rowing, and swimming and never lift heavy weights or sprint. For some reason that stuff comes a lot more easily to me, and I recover from it much faster. Getting stronger really takes a toll on me, but it's the key to my progress.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #34
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Russ, I am right there with you buddy. Going through the same ordeal of trying to improve several areas simultaneously. I am working now on raw strength, my very weakest area. I figure if I can jack my numbers up, a lot of the other stuff will come along. I know this is not new information for you, but I wanted to let you know I read the transition and am struggling (and progressing) too.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #35
Russ Greene

Profile:

8/27
flew across the country and moved in to my new apartment, then helped all my friends with their heavy luggage

8/28
some sprints and clean and jerk singles at 185, still not nearly 100%. I don't think I'll be able to get a good workout in for a few more days. I need to get back on my sleeping and eating schedule and get everything situated for the new year.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #36
Russ Greene

Profile:

8/29
Well I finally had a good workout. I rowed on the machine right next to the lightweight crew coach, who wanted to get my email address to send me info about the crew team. I told him about Crossfit and the level four standards and he decided I was crazy.

I rowed 30 minutes at 211.5 watts, 1:58.4/500m.
I've been doing some bodyweight squat practice, superman holds, ab wheels, pushups, and stretching each morning, which feels pretty good and lets me get some extra core, flexibility, and form work in, which I badly need.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #37
Russ Greene

Profile:

8/30
AM Workout:
At the Uni gym with Brant
weighted pullups - 75 X 3,2,2,2,2,2
supersetted with
handstand pushups - 10,8,6,6,6

I was supposed to do levers and planches today but my abs were too sore so I switched it up.

PM:
20-15-10 in 13 minutes
40 lb. db thrusters
pullups
80 lb. bag shouldering
burpees

Meh. First workout was good, and the second suffered consequently.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 AM   #38
Allen Yeh

Profile:
8/29 is pretty funny

So you still doing the 2 a days while back in class?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 AM   #39
Russ Greene

Profile:

Yep. It's funny how much extra time you have when you don't care about the things everyone else does.

8/31
Blessed rest day. Al hamdu lilleh. You could say I'm a little sore. In other news I have gotten most of the stuff I need for the apartment, registered for all of my classes inlcuding Classical Arabic Prose, which I am very excited about, reregistered for my gym membership, caught up on my sleep, and spent some time with all the friends who I haven't seen since May. I am thinking four 200m sprints, then snatches to overhead squats, then deadlifts tomorrow, and maybe db clean and push presses if I am up to it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #40
Russ Greene

Profile:

9/1
Couldn't sprint due to some shin pain.

Squat snatches - 135 X 2,2,2,2,F,1
lost the fifth to the left side,

hook grip Deadlifts - 295 X 5,5,5,5,4

I went a little lower on these than last time since I didn't want to have to resort to the mixed grip. I will go up to 305 next time.

I tried to do some clean and push presses after this, but that just wasn't happening.

Canaan:
clean and jerk practice with 95 lbs.
Then 15 rounds of Cindy, switching over to 3 pullups per round halfway through.
Then some back extensions and situps.
Then 10 minutes of 1 minute hard 1 minute easy on the rower.
Canaan needs to learn how to kip and get full elbow and shoulder extension.