CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 AM   #11
Richard Boureston

Profile:

The only problem is that you would have to try it over several days with full recovery and try to duplicate the exact amount of sleep, food, drinking, workload during the day, etc...

Really what I think you would have to do is do a scientific study, which I am sure has been done.

Then it becomes a matter of what your goal is:

A faster time or harder workload.

You will not expend the same amount of calories, or generate an equal amount of watts (whichever way you want to look at it), by approaching the WOD the two different ways we are discussing.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #12
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Richard, I think you've been given some good clues to answer your question either with reference to previous threads or empirical experimentation. Chase them up, there is good stuff there - BUT eventually you get to a point where further info brings you no closer to enlightenment. Further insight will only come by doing the WOD over a period of months, logging your results and tracking your progress.

Don't get stuck in the all too common trap of paralysis by analysis. To quote a wise man "Get some, Go again!"

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
Russ Greene

Profile:

Basically, both methods work. It hasn't been conclusively proven which one works better. Thus you should find out which one works for you better or which one you enjoy the most. I lean towards the always pacing strategy and save my sprinting for my sprints, but Matt Gagliardi among others like to sell out (go 100 percent from the beginning without regard for their eventual time) from time to time, and I can't dispute their fitness level or intellectual ability.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
richard,

it makes sense to think carefully about how you want to pace your workouts. but try not to slip into "paralysis by analysis." a worthwhile post, to be sure, but not if indecision about which method to use stops you from doing *something*. give the WOD a whirl for a couple weeks, using both methods. note your reactions, then repost and tell us what you experienced. speculation can only get you so far....
Old 08-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
Richard Boureston

Profile:

Actually I was just trying to get a feel for how Crossfit approached the topic. I know that psychologically it is difficult for me to watch myself get slower and slower. But it is an important mental obsticle to overcome.

Please don't misunderstand the analytical nature of my posts in a way that you feel I am over analyzing the problem.

To the contrary, I like to seperate my analysis from execution and that is what I was doing here. I will say that when I make a decision on how I'm going to do it then I do it that way, or highwater, for that Workout. I have been doing the workouts for about a month and have really been enjoying them. There will be no quitting any time soon.