CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Home Gym/AmStaff equipment question

Hey everyone,
i've recently come into a bit of money and can finally afford to get some key pieces to a home gym. APOLOGIES FOR THE LONG READ!!

Priorities:

- Rack/Stands
- Bar
- Adjustable Bench
- Weights
- Flooring (just a DIY platform)

$2K with taxes and shipping

Rack/Stands:

Contenders:
Rogue S-1 or S-2 (460-540) w/o spotter arms
Rogue SML-1 or SML-2 (500-650) w/o spotter arms
Again Faster Squat Stand 3.0 (370) w/o spotter arms
AmStaff TR023 (also knowin the states as Force USA) goes for 400 and includes dip attachment. http://fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=263 WFS and http://fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=603 WFS) I can also get this rack locally and save 130$ shipping but the price at the store is 499.

I mention squat stands because of price. I would prefer a rack due to having pull up bar and safeties, meaning I wouldn't have to rely on bumpers, which I still want to get bumpers.

I am a competitive powerlifter therefore I bench, and would love that added security, which means i'd have to get the safety spotter arms on the rack...so the total with spotter arms comes out to pretty close to the total of an R3. Height is also a consideration, because my basement ceiling is not finished I could line up the uprights and crossmembers to fit if i got the bolt together version.

any recommendations for/against anything. Any reviews on the AmStaff racks?

Bars:

Contenders:
- Ohio Power Bar ($330)
- Klokov Bar ($355)
- Texas Power Bar ($450)
- Chan Bar ($340)
- B&R Bar ($345)

Obviously being a powerlifter the ohio power bar is my top choice because it is built to IPF specs so i'd get to practice with something similar BUT being that this will more than likely be my only bar for the next while (might get a crappy 89$ CAP bar) I am considering something less harsh on the hands for my wife AND for myself when I am doing higher rep work or dabbling in oly.

the Rogue bars and the klokov bar are getting a better look due to their lifetime warranty, BUT the klokov bar is whippier and thinner and im not sure what to think of the different knurl pattern on the chan...it might bug me (aka my hand would be on smooth, no grip) on close grip bench.

Any others I haven't thought of? or recommendations on course of action?

Adjustable Bench:

Contenders:
- XTC X-series Super bench ($400) Made in Canada (http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/be...-xtc-gear.html wfs)
- York FID 205 ($130) http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/be...k-barbell.html WFS
- York FTS FID bench ($250) http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/be...k-barbell.html WFS
- AmStaff FID folding bench ($150) http://fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=560 WFS
- AmStaff commercial series bench($250) http://fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=757 WFS

I am looking for the weight rating of benches but can't find some, being a low-mid 300 bencher and walking around low 200s I can't expect to get a cheapo wally world one I know. Any recommendations?

One thing I learned is adjustable benches can be REALLY pricey.

Weights:

I know i'll have to have a mix of bumpers and metal plates (gonna hit 600lbs deadlift this year), but id prefer to have KG plates.

So my options are:
- All metal plates, cheapest can MAYBE find some on kijiji, but its been barren. Depending on price I could get anywhere from 500-600lbs.
- Get a small amount of training plates and supplement with metal plates (the black with coloured lettering are the plates id like in my gym long term)
- Get HG bumpers and mix of metal
- Pick 1 or 2 pairs of the bumpers I use most (example 10kg and 25kg) and supplement rest with metal.

As far as bumpers go my best options are
https://ca.againfaster.com/en-ca/shop/bumper-plates/ WFS
or
https://therepublicofsport.ca/index..../bumper-plates
since they are the only ones that offer free shipping

Other than that it will be cheapo brands

I will probably go all metal for now and slowly build up a collection of bumpers
Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: Home Gym/AmStaff equipment question

1. Get the Chan bar. It is a true hybrid and spins well enough for Oly but has agressive knurling. It also has center knurl and whips more than the B+R bar, but the center knurl will not scratch you up like the B+R bar will. But the B+R bar is thicker and is raw steel so keep that in mind. So I would go with one of those two bars. The Klokov bar is closer to an Oly bar.
2. Get the rack that allows benching. I would go with the RML just for the added safety in benching and squatting. If the rack that you can get locally is a cage, do that instead.

Edit: If you are going all metal, go with the B+R bar.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

can't really help you with the bench but what i can tell you is that i have the Chan bar and it is AMAZING. the spin is great, quality is top notch and the knurl is aggressive enough without ripping your hands. i honestly don't want any other bar.

as for racks, i have the S1 with safety arms and i love it but i also wish i could do a cage. i chose the rack because i need to move it from time to time but when i move, i plan on selling it and going with a full cage.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

I wouldn't recommend the klokov bar as your only bar because the bearings are not good for benching. Otherwise its a great bar. I'd go with the Chan bar if its going to be your only bar for a while
Old 04-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
John Burgeson

Profile:

Go with the Chan. Klokov is not as whippy as you think, but it is a rust factory and extremely overrated. B&R is a nice choice too if you don't mind cleaning it often. Get a full rack, screw stands if you powerlift. Check out the Legend 3-way bench. If you can afford that one, just make sure you ask for 12" pad (you'd have to order direct from Legend)... default is 10". Doesn't change price I don't think.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
Frank Ngo

Profile:

I would say go top tier on the first 3 items; rack, bar, bench. They're used most frequently, thus you get the most bang for the buck on usage.

RML-3 / something equivalent

TPB

XTC bench looks solid. Hopefully its rated >1000lbs.

Another piece of advice, patience is key. Use IFTTT.com (wfs) for craigslists ads with keywords "Olympic plates" and other such items you want to purchase second hand.

Good luck! Keep us posted with what how it shapes up!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
Robbie Nelson

Profile:

I have one of these racks and I love it. It's very versatile. I use it for squats, press's, pull-ups, dips and bench.
http://www.repfitness.com/strength-e...th-pull-up-bar (WFS)
http://www.getrxd.com/index.php/getrxdguillotines.html (WFS)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Don't get me wrong I love the rogue racks but they are not the most affordable ones, if I get the R3 (I didn't mention any rogue racks in my contenders due to price) then I won't have money for any weights lol

On the used weights comment...been looking forever and I'm not really finding anything cheaper than $1 per lb even used which is bs. And I'm not finding much to begin with.

It's funny you guys mostly pick the chan bar because it's probably at the bottom of my list lol so I was surprised
Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

In case it did I just want to say my last comment wasn't supposed to come off insulting or anything and apologies if it did.

I've kept looking for other solid benches and haven't found anything in the $400-500 beyond what I mentioned. I've decided to go with the rack I can get locally, already measured and all it fits.

Settled on the ohio power bar as 85% of my training is non oly stuff and I can't snatch in my basement lol I will either get a cheapo York bar at the store with the rack or just wait and get an AF team bar later down the line (300$ and free shipping in canada) the cheapo bar will be mostly for my wife who's biggest lift is her DL at 205, and for me to do cleans with (my max clean is 225 on a good day) so I'm not stressing about that.

Other reason for the OPB is I may be hosting meets with my club and since it's built to specs we could use that.

Still on the hunt for plates and stall mats though, and I'll be gettig some awesome SBD knee sleeves and investing in a Slingshot to help get my crappy bench up.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
Gretchen Ross

Profile:

Are you willing/able to bolt the rack to the floor? That was a consideration for us being in a rental...we went with the SML-2 with the safety arms partly because it did not have to be bolted down, and also because it has a pull-up bar. We added weight-storage pegs to the back to keep the bumper plates, and that weight keeps it super steady...no rocking at all even when kipping pull-ups. We considered cheaper options but are glad we spent the money...and we have never regretted not getting a full rack.