CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Steven Spiteri

Profile:
When to foam roll?

Hey guys, have recently got myself a rumble roller, as in the past I have been pretty bad with stretching/prehab etc. Question is when is the best time to use it. Say on heavy Deadlift days I find my lower back is pretty trashed for a few days afterwards, would it be most beneficial to roll straight after I've finished my Deads or should I wait till the DOMS kick in a day later before rolling an area. Will rolling even help with DOMS or not? Just after some advice as when best to do it.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Philipp Lendner

Profile:
Re: When to foam roll?

You can basically use your roller whenever you want.
I personally do not use it during a certain period before my workouts (like 3-4 hours before).

Using the roller as part of your cool down routine will definitely help, although spending more time for your cool down will generally limit your soreness. Keep in mind that you should do something like at least ten minutes of light cardio after your workouts, followed by another ten minutes of mobility work (including foam rolling).
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think Phil hit it on the head. If your back is trashed doing some exercise specific to the area the next day can really help. For low back love extensions and rev hypers or light good mornings. Originally I thought this would overdo things, but it's really helped with recovery. Think 2-4 sets of high reps and don't take it to failure. Think submaximal recovery.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I don't really see much value in a foam roller with the exception of loosening up a tight spot temporarily and loosening up a spot before stretching. It seems to me that foam rolling doesn't actually help on it's own but it can provide temporary relief and it is helpful to get more out of other stretches.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I don't really see much value in a foam roller with the exception of loosening up a tight spot temporarily and loosening up a spot before stretching. It seems to me that foam rolling doesn't actually help on it's own but it can provide temporary relief and it is helpful to get more out of other stretches.
I agree with this with less emphasis on the stretching.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
I completely disagree. Foam rolling can be super beneficial for mobility . Over time those tight spots stop becoming tight. You do need to be consistent with it. That is my experience at least. I would feel free to do this before and or after exercise. I do both and have not seen any negative impact on performance .
Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I agree with this with less emphasis on the stretching.
Well following the whole being tight thing isn't a huge deal led to a couple pulled muscles so from now on I will add in some stretching to prevent that from happening again.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Pete Lauder

Profile:

I use it during warm up/cool down and also at night before bed to help reduce muscle soreness.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Well following the whole being tight thing isn't a huge deal led to a couple pulled muscles so from now on I will add in some stretching to prevent that from happening again.
I think you should also look into what made you so tight that you pulled/strained a muscle in the first place. I am not totally against stretching, and I do see some benefit.