CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Mark Bayhylle

Profile:
Partner WOD for High School Team

All,

Any input would be great so thanks in advance.

BACKSTORY:
I'm a High School lacrosse coach and we're about 2 weeks out from the start of the season. We've got a great group of seniors that all seem to get along and like each other. However, there is a nearly 50/50 split amongst the group in regard to pre-season training. About half take it seriously and the other half either aren't that engaged or have spent the last three years avoiding the weight room at all costs.

I've started CrossFit in November of 2013 and have made some great progress, but I'm nowhere near qualified to program workouts. What I would like to do is have my players perform a Partner WOD, matching the hard-workers with the less-hard-workers as a team building exercise.

Our weight room is fantastic and has all the things an HS weight room should have. That said, we don't have med balls, any bumper plates lighter than 45#, or kettlebells. As many of these guys have not done CrossFit WOD before, I don't want them to be repping Olympic lifts if possible. We have the space to do pull-ups, but no apparatus for multiple people doing dips at the same time.

We do have plenty of barbells and dumbbells and we have 6 risers as well.

REQUEST:
If anyone would like to chime in with some programming for a Partner WOD that is mostly body-weight exercises but still challenging, I'd really appreciate it.

Again, thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Partner WOD for High School Team

I don't have a workout to suggest, but I do think that matching up hard workers with less-hard workers on purpose is a recipe for the opposite of "team building."
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Mark Bayhylle

Profile:

The less-hard-workers are not bad kids or have crappy attitudes. They all get along and are friends. The less-hard-workers (maybe I should have labeled them "less-strong"), for the most part, are intimidated by the stronger guys (the lacrosse team lifts with the football team in the winter so that's another intimidation factor).

I was looking for something that would level the playing field, so to speak, but also something that would give a couple of guys that wouldn't normally be on the same rack a common goal to achieve together. If they were at each other's throats all the time and couldn't stand to be in the same room, I wouldn't be doing this.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bayhylle View Post
The less-hard-workers are not bad kids or have crappy attitudes. They all get along and are friends. The less-hard-workers (maybe I should have labeled them "less-strong"), for the most part, are intimidated by the stronger guys (the lacrosse team lifts with the football team in the winter so that's another intimidation factor).

I was looking for something that would level the playing field, so to speak, but also something that would give a couple of guys that wouldn't normally be on the same rack a common goal to achieve together. If they were at each other's throats all the time and couldn't stand to be in the same room, I wouldn't be doing this.
Well, if they're playing lacrosse, they're probably still stronger than the non-sports playing population of the school. If you want to level the field down to mostly body weight stuff to make it less intimidating, try something like this:

15 Minute AMRAP:
5 Pull Ups
10 Push Ups
15 Squats

Partners alternate rounds - while one partner performs their round, the "resting" partner holds a plank.

It's simple, easy to coach and a classic introduction to CrossFit. The only equipment needed is pull up bars. If you have some guys that can't do a pull up, sub in a jumping pull up.

After performing a WOD like this, if the response is good, then you can up the complexity a bit and include some dumbbell movements, and such.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Once I was working with a big mixed fitness group and I did the following:

Introduced the burpee, explained the movement standard, demoed. Then I had everyone do max burpees in 30 seconds. Asked a sampling how many they got. Then for the main workout we did like 4-5 intervals of:
Burpees: however many you got in 30 seconds
Run 200m
Rest 2 minutes
This way everyone started running at about the same time as it was self scaled. It was fun and the best conditioned didn't necessarily finish first.

You could do something like this where everyone gets a partner who they have to run with.

Or have the partners alternate, where the resting persons job is to encourage the person doing the burpees and run with them.

Or do it relay style: 2-4 people per team, each person does his burpees--starting with the least # of burpees going to highest # of burpees--tagging the next person as soon as the last burpee is finished, then once the last person finishes the last burpee the group has to do the 200m run. The least conditioned would have the most rest so wouldn't be dragging the group down.

Weight room options depend on how comfortable they are lifting. If you felt comfortable having them get a squat max you could then do a max rep set with like 65% of 1RM, where their team mates job is to get loud, cheer them on, help them squeeze out the really tough reps (maybe even assist). Of course if they aren't experienced in the weight room they probably aren't ready for that.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Enrico Chacon

Profile:

I had my team come to do workouts over the summer and one day we did deck of cards partner wod. Work with a partner and perform one card at a time . For red cards, partner 1 does the exercise while partner 2 rests and vice-versa for black cards.

Spades and Hearts are Thrusters
Clubs and Diamonds are Burpees

Face cards are automatic 10 of that number of exercises.

Ace = both partners run a 400 as a team (no man left behind)
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Jason Olney

Profile:

I've been working with our women's tennis team and a few guys that want to workout at my school and we did a pretty good one yesterday that was body weight.

Partner 1 runs 400m while partner 2 holds a wall sit. When #1 finishes they switch positions. After both partners have run they complete a total of 80 push-ups (we did even split of 40/40 but if one is more fit than another it could be split 50/30 or something). Repeat this sit-ups, burpees, and a 60 sec. plank. Then complete one more round of run/wall sit.

WOD looks like:
400m Run/Wall Sit each
80 total push-ups
400m Run/Wall Sit each
80 total sit-ups
400m Run/Wall Sit each
80 total burpees
400m Run/Wall Sit each
60 second plank (have done KB/DB swings or presses in the past)
400m Run/Wall Sit each

Took us about 30 min for everyone to finish
Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

I really like your idea. In my experience a great way to do partner wods with people of different strengths and conditioning is to alternate someone running while the other does a lift or body weight movement. For example

200m run alternating with
100 push press
100 pull ups
100 squats
100 push ups

One person is running at all times and one person is doing the exercises at all times. They switch when the person running is done with his 200m. The 100 reps are total reps combined for both people. Each person can have there own bar doing there own weight for their strength. This type of workout also alternates weighted bar work with body weight work that hopefully equalizes different strengths in your players. One person might do more but usually with this type of workout both people are pushing each other and themselves. Its a good give and take. You can also scale the amount of reps or add a few more things in the mix like deadlifts, cleans, lunges etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Ben Sparks

Profile:

I'm a lacrosse coach too. We do lots of partner workouts, and semi-partner workouts. I usually just pair guys up by size (or have them do it themselves). We do a lot of racing - things like piggyback carries and wheelbarrow races, 20 yds out (midline to restraining line), switch partners, 20 yds back.

We do partner sprint-lap/pushups - one runs a sprint lap while the other does pushups, and then they switch roles. Your "time" is reduced by the number of pushups you & your partner achieved at 1 pushup = -1 second. (A sprint lap is all 4 sides of the field, no cut corners. Most varsity lacrosse players can do it in under a minute).

We run a mile with a partner and get the answers to 3 questions, so its conditioning + teambuilding. I like to match up older guys with younger ones for these. At the end of the mile, you give the whole team your partner's answers. Questions are random stuff like 1) your favorite food your mom makes, 2) the last movie you saw, 3) the most overrated NBA player

As a team, lots of planks, sprint laps (top 3 finishers get the next one off - we usually run 3-5 with about 90 sec rest in between), EMOM 5 burpees and a 55 yd out & back (end line to mid line) for 5-10 minutes, shuttle runs, fartleks, indian runs, etc.

Shadow squares are great: set up 6 flat cones in 2 squares sharing one side, all about 10 yards apart. 2 lines facing each other at far corners but along the same side. One line is the leader, the other has to run a mirror. Running the square, the leader can decide to run the perimeter, or a Z or an N, as long as he hits each corner just once. After reacting to the first 2, the 3rd cone is obvious, so a fast mirror guy can usually win by the end. Its great for reaction time and changes in direction. Switch lines after every turn.

I also have them do TGU's with their helmets in their hand instead of a KB. The weight is insignificant, but its still good for balance, praxis, focus, and direction-following.

HTH