CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
Brad Williams

Profile:

A question from a relative new comer. I am sure this is obvious but here goes anyway.
In a case like today(Angie)- Is the pull up a kipping pull up, a strict pull up, or simply whatever you can muster to complete it?

BTW, I found this to be one of the toughest WOD's that I have done so far. It even made FGB seem easy earlier this week. That could be saying something about my intensity though(or lack of).

Thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Pullups are preferably done with a kip. Regarding FGB though, remember, this week we just had the 3 round version. :wink:
Old 04-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Especially on Angie (100 consecutive pullups), I'd say do: "whatever you can muster to complete it".

For me, that includes all sorts of adaptations including jumping pullups (followed by a slow negative). For some, it may include assisted pullups (Gravitron or jumpstretch band) . . . just do what you need to get it done.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:
what's a kip?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Among other things, it is the currency of Laos.:happy:

Do a search or browse through the recent relevant threads to find more details about it. Simply put, the kip is a dynamic movement utlizing the whole body to produce more explosive pullups. The body looks like it is reverberating by the hip and kick movement and this creates momentum resulting in a more functional way to propel your upper body over the bar.

The kip has incredible carry-over in most of CFs staple exercises (like Oly lifts, wall-ball, thrusters etc.) and so, is a valuable skill for real-life situations as well.

Check out Larry L.'s thread about its us in a Law Enforcement situation, on the testimonials section.