CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Rest Days

I am currently working out 6 days a week, sometimes even 7, and am interested in whether some of you have experimented with less rest than the 3 on, 1 off or the 5 on, 2 off recommended. Anyone else experimented with lack of true rest days? How has it worked?

I'm maintaining my intensity without many rest days. It seems that the prescribed WODs at my box are variable enough that some days are not as taxing, which might act a little bit like recovery. But obviously I'm still working out and those are not true rest days.

So I'm interested in whether this little or no rest pattern has worked for others. Obviously it is hard to know if I'd be gaining more quickly if I took the true rest days, unless I actually just start doing that. Of course I have in the past, typically by necessity through missing as a result of work, but I'm enjoying having the time to workout every day right now and I hope to keep it up.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Rest Days

This was covered in a thread last year. The key is to vary intensity. Metcons at 100% everyday will smoke you.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I'd be interested to hear your stats. Strength #'s and body composition #'s.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/122946 wfs

Maybe???
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

lol that's exactly what I expected.

"I WORKOUT 6 DAYS A WEEK WITH ACTIVE RECOVERY ON THE 7TH! IS THAT TOO MUCH?"

Asks the 5'8" guy who CJ's his bodyweight.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
lol that's exactly what I expected.

"I WORKOUT 6 DAYS A WEEK WITH ACTIVE RECOVERY ON THE 7TH! IS THAT TOO MUCH?"

Asks the 5'8" guy who CJ's his bodyweight.
Is that info relevant?

I doubt it, but maybe so. I'm willing to listen to and consider any theory use propose.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Well yes it's relevant, because it shows what you've insisted on doing for the last year and a half (despite plenty of advice to the contrary) isn't really working for you.

You're doing too much and not resting enough, whether you want to believe it or not.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
This was covered in a thread last year. The key is to vary intensity. Metcons at 100% everyday will smoke you.
I agree the length and intensity of workouts is a big factor. If I did hero workouts 3 days in a row, I'd definitely need rest and in a big way. I've never tried that, in fact, for good reason.

Our workouts vary quite a bit in length, intensity, and relative weight lifted, as you would expect. Some days, particularly those where we aren't going really heavy, seem to be partial recovery days for me. For instance, doing a workout like Annie as a metcon serves as partial recovery for me, say from a hero workout the day before which took 50+ minutes and was very taxing in terms of both cardio and amount of weight lifted.

I tend to think there may be room for resting less than the 3:1 or 5:2 usual patterns if the workouts are varied enough. You are emphasizing different energy systems on different days in some circumstances, so you get some rest. I did see the recent journal video featuring Rich Froning where he was asked about rest cycles and he gave a vague answer, but suggested he did not build in complete rest (such as a week's rest at the end of competition season). He suggested that was inconsistent with the theory of crossfit--to be ready for any challenged at any time. He did not give a definite answer, however, merely answering with his own question. But I thought it was interesting because he was suggesting he doesn't rest. Is there room for the same thinking for weekly rest days, just working in shorter days.

I am still relatively new to crossfit, about a year worth of training, and bring some ideas from endurance athletics. Endurance athletes typically build in rest cycles, but most rarely completely rest when in training season. A "rest day" is in fact just less intense working out. An easy example is to look at pro cyclists in grand tours, who typically ride 2+ hours (easy) on the two rest days they get over a 3 week race.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Well yes it's relevant, because it shows what you've insisted on doing for the last year and a half (despite plenty of advice to the contrary) isn't really working for you.

You're doing too much and not resting enough, whether you want to believe it or not.
Well since the vast majority of time I have been attending Crossfit it was 3 days a week, not really. The working out 6 or 7 days a week has been for maybe a month. I have ramped up over time.

I've not been Crossfitting for 1 1/2 years. I did it 2x per week on average for about 3 months, then stopped for about 6 months. I then started back up in August of last year, 3x a week when a new box opened closer to my home, and went to 4x a week late last year. Only recently did I start working out virtually every day.

How can you say Crossfit is not working for me if you don't even know where I started? Or where my benchmarks are now? Or how much time I've spent on the sidelines due to an old injury?

I thought I was just asking a question among a group of like minded folks interested in fitness and training and what helps them improve. Didn't realize posting a question was likely to get you accosted, in a literary sort of way. This is not exactly the welcoming response I get when I go to my box to workout.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You're not getting accosted--you're asking for advice, then resisting the answers people are giving you. What Rich Froning is able to tolerate for training volume bears almost no resemblance to what 99.97% of the human population can tolerate, so I wouldn't recommend basing your training off of what he does unless you have the means to do nothing other than train, eat, sleep 8+ hours, and do mobility work every day. Most people have real-life demands that prevent that sort of arrangement and necessitate more rest.

EDIT: Oh, and I apologize for the tone and content of my previous post. I'd gotten you mixed up with someone else who was asking similar questions, and I assumed that (based on your Dec 2011 join date and previous posts) you'd been training CF since then.

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 05-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.