CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Aaron Korth

Profile:
Re: Question for box owners...

Mauricio,

Thanks for your story!! Do you have any regrets?? Would you do it all over again knowing what you know now??
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Nah no regrets, I don't believe in that sort of Monday morning QBing. Yes of course I'd do it all over. I guess you could say I "wish" I had known a few more things a priori, such as how to choose a biz partner, a more organized guide for scaling and how to fix all the broken people we see/meet everyday, that I can't be everything to everyone, that coaching often requires a greater working knowledge of psychology than of movement/training. Part of the growth process is discovering these things for yourself though and doing your best not to **** up the things outside of your current knowledge base which you needed to know yesterday.

For the most part I think one just has to be ready to adapt, not get caught up in drama or peoples' egos (so and so wants to do it Rx'd and they're not ready, it's your job to be the ***hole that tells them 'no', etc.), and try to be the best leader. I think Ben Bergeron said it so simply in one of the AF biz videos I watched recently: we're not actually in the fitness business, we're in the relationship business, and the key to building strong relationships is... *wait for it* living a life of integrity. Being the best version of myself all the time requires a certain relentless vigilance that is new to me. Not to discredit myself, I know I'm not perfect, but you get enough people who look up to you and you feel the need to maintain a really high standard. But like I said, it is comforting knowing I am in good company.

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." -Aristotle
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Nah no regrets, I don't believe in that sort of Monday morning QBing. Yes of course I'd do it all over. I guess you could say I "wish" I had known a few more things a priori, such as how to choose a biz partner, a more organized guide for scaling and how to fix all the broken people we see/meet everyday, that I can't be everything to everyone, that coaching often requires a greater working knowledge of psychology than of movement/training. Part of the growth process is discovering these things for yourself though and doing your best not to **** up the things outside of your current knowledge base which you needed to know yesterday.

For the most part I think one just has to be ready to adapt, not get caught up in drama or peoples' egos (so and so wants to do it Rx'd and they're not ready, it's your job to be the ***hole that tells them 'no', etc.), and try to be the best leader. I think Ben Bergeron said it so simply in one of the AF biz videos I watched recently: we're not actually in the fitness business, we're in the relationship business, and the key to building strong relationships is... *wait for it* living a life of integrity. Being the best version of myself all the time requires a certain relentless vigilance that is new to me. Not to discredit myself, I know I'm not perfect, but you get enough people who look up to you and you feel the need to maintain a really high standard. But like I said, it is comforting knowing I am in good company.

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." -Aristotle
Awesome post Mauricio. Sounds like you are doing it right!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #14
Julian Gaylor

Profile:

My box opened about 3 months ago. we currently have 32 members and growing steady.

My story is a little different. I have owned a PT/Boot Camp studio for 4 years and decided to turn part of our large studio into a box.

I love training clients and crossfit but I have moved into more of a management/marketing role in my business. I am CF certified and have gone through the affiliation process but have 2 (soon to be 3) VERY passionate trainers.

Hoping to get as close to 50 members as i can by the end of the year.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Peter Hellberg

Profile:

I just opened mine from Scratch 2 weeks ago 4200sq ft (commercial real estate is struggling here). My wife and I began the process back in March and really started hammering the social media boards with all of our friends that fortunately live in the area and have friends in the area etc. Then we ran a heavily discounted pre-sale for about 6 weeks. We actually got 13 members through that. And we ran a living social deal (lucked out timing wise with the opening) and 36 people purchased that. We now have 15 members in the 2 weeks (almost covering rent). We are so pumped this was the greatest decision so fulfilling. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Aaron Korth

Profile:

Peter...

Congrats on your early success!! I was curious, with only 15 members and almost already covering rent, what are you charging your clients if you dont mind me asking?? Is your rent pretty low?? A 4000 sq foot box in Los Angeles would be extremely expensive!! I know 15 members wouldn't come close to covering rent here...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Korth View Post
Peter...

Congrats on your early success!! I was curious, with only 15 members and almost already covering rent, what are you charging your clients if you dont mind me asking?? Is your rent pretty low?? A 4000 sq foot box in Los Angeles would be extremely expensive!! I know 15 members wouldn't come close to covering rent here...
Did you really just ask this?

Aaron, common sense and street smart will take you a long ways.

You are comparing rent and expenses in LA(of all places), to a tiny city in PA with a population of about 8,000. There are more people living in one high rise in LA!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
Aaron Korth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Did you really just ask this?

Aaron, common sense and street smart will take you a long ways.

You are comparing rent and expenses in LA(of all places), to a tiny city in PA with a population of about 8,000. There are more people living in one high rise in LA!
Population of only 8000?? Who knew???
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Korth View Post
Population of only 8000?? Who knew???
I'm surprised a town of 8,000 even has a place that big. That's about the size of my hometown and there's nothing that big there.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Toli Mahmutaj

Profile:

Great inspiring post Mauricio. Wish you the best in life.