CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:
2-3 metcons a day

If i keep a high calorie diet, with a good income of protein and fats. And that i do each workout with hours of rest in between. Would it be good to do 2 metcons a day? Or maybe if its a high intensty short 5-10 min workout and then a longer 25 min AMRAP, for example?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 2-3 metcons a day

For most people not a great idea, if you are working the metcons hard most will burn out.

If over time you build up the work capacity, you might be able to do some cycles of 2 a days, 3 a days seems tough.

It seems most people can blend 3-4 limited strength workouts with 2-4 metcons or other GPP in a week and make fair progress. This work could be done together or do AM strength and PM metcon.

It also depends on how you are approaching the intensity of your WODs. If you attack it from a traditonal CrossFit all out attitude, it will most likely be too much. If you understand your body, listen to it and adjust the intensity of your WODs, it might work. This means having some WODs you go 100%, most you do between 80-90%, and then some below.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

if working at high intensity, you will need carbs, not fat.....
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Cabezas View Post
If i keep a high calorie diet, with a good income of protein and fats. And that i do each workout with hours of rest in between. Would it be good to do 2 metcons a day? Or maybe if its a high intensty short 5-10 min workout and then a longer 25 min AMRAP, for example?
For what purpose?

- Mark
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
For what purpose?

- Mark
I think there seems to be a "more is better" perception with regards to conditioning workouts in many people's minds lately.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

Quote:
For what purpose?

- Mark
I'm traveling for a bit more than a month starting november and i'm going to have to restrict myself to only bodyweight workouts. So i downloaded the bodyweight workout resource v2.0 (which is amazing) but i feel like some of these workouts might not push me to my limits and i want to keep making gains in fitness even though i'm traveling. I though that by doing more than 1 metcon a day it could help so when i come back and start working out at my box again i've made improvements. Me and my friends are very competitive at the box so i'm hoping that when i go back they wont be able to beat me in the WODS because i've been doing bodyweight metcons for a month.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

Alberto - another thing to consider is doing one of these metcons (be it the 5 minute or a 25 minute - you know, mix it up). Then do something else like going for a run or a swim for your two-a-day. Swimming could be difficult if traveling to a lot of different places that may/may not have a public pool, but running you can do anywhere. The run will have a few benefits (even though it does suck often); You're cardiovascular system should start getting more efficient - so when you come back to the gym, it's possible you'll find your endurance or gas is a little bit better ; you can do it in the dark after work, or early before, and it'll help "toughen you up" if it's cold etc ; you can do it anywhere, anytime, and is one way to see the city ... rather than inside airport > inside hotel > inside gym > inside work > inside bar > inside hotel > inside airport type routine.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Cabezas View Post
Me and my friends are very competitive at the box so i'm hoping that when i go back they wont be able to beat me in the WODS because i've been doing bodyweight metcons for a month.
I think what you can probably expect if you do bw metcons for a month is that you will improve at bw metcons (as long as you don't overwork yourself) but probably dip a bit in strength. If you get a WOD when you get home that has a prolonged heavy component, you could end up struggling a bit.

Temporary problem though; just start back with the heavy weight when you get home. Also, remember that CF is (or should be) a long-term thing, so don't blow yourself out on the road with bw workouts just for the sake of trying to remain immediately competitive when you get home.

- Mark
Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Alberto - another thing to consider is doing one of these metcons (be it the 5 minute or a 25 minute - you know, mix it up). Then do something else like going for a run or a swim for your two-a-day. Swimming could be difficult if traveling to a lot of different places that may/may not have a public pool, but running you can do anywhere. The run will have a few benefits (even though it does suck often); You're cardiovascular system should start getting more efficient - so when you come back to the gym, it's possible you'll find your endurance or gas is a little bit better ; you can do it in the dark after work, or early before, and it'll help "toughen you up" if it's cold etc ; you can do it anywhere, anytime, and is one way to see the city ... rather than inside airport > inside hotel > inside gym > inside work > inside bar > inside hotel > inside airport type routine.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Quote:
I think what you can probably expect if you do bw metcons for a month is that you will improve at bw metcons (as long as you don't overwork yourself) but probably dip a bit in strength. If you get a WOD when you get home that has a prolonged heavy component, you could end up struggling a bit.

Temporary problem though; just start back with the heavy weight when you get home. Also, remember that CF is (or should be) a long-term thing, so don't blow yourself out on the road with bw workouts just for the sake of trying to remain immediately competitive when you get home.

- Mark
I just finished reading the gslp e-book and it was great. I was thinking that for the next month i could do the bw metcons on a 3-1 schedule or 5 days a week on the pm and 6 days a week i could do small easy sets throughout the day of chin-ups and push-ups (for a bit of strength) and work on the strength villain challenge of 100 burpees in 5 minutes on the am. So even if they can beat me in strength, guess who can do 100 burpees in 5 minutes?