CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Cody Chanthaseny
Member Cody Chanthaseny is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alma  AR
Posts: 19
Question Programming suggestion

I've done quite a bit of searching but I can't really decide what programming is best for me. I do not have a Crossfit box near me so I do all my workouts on my own.

I have access to limited weights at work (firefighter) and have easy access to a park trail and a track.

I've always had an athletic nature, and while I did let my self go a couple times over the years, I never got super overweight. I've started doing obstacle runs (Warrior Dashes, Tough Mudders) as motivation to get and stay in shape.

I've got several goals I want to meet but I'm finding it difficult to decide on what Crossfit programming is going to get me there with the most efficiency.
I'm pretty close to some goals, and a ways off of some others. I'll list what my current goals are and how close I am as of right now.

Running:
400m: Goal is to run under 55 seconds. current best is 75 seconds.
1 mile: Goal is to run under 7 minutes. My current best is 7:33
5k: Goal is to run under 25 minutes. My Current best is 26:25.

Finish the local Warrior Dash in under 40 minutes (first time I took it easy because I was running with out of shape friends and wanted to just finish. Second time I sprained my ankle in the first mile, still finished but it wasn't pretty)

Weight lifting:
Bench Press: Goal is to bench 1 rep max of 300+. Currently bench 250
Squat: Goal is to squat 500+. Currently squat is 410
Dead lift: Goal is to lift 350+. Current is 250
Hang Clean: Goal is to clean 300+. Current is 225


I am 5' 10" and 200 pounds. Of course I would like to look ripped etc but mass/looks etc come second to meeting all my goals. I don't care if I weigh 180 or 250 as long as I hit those goals.

I eat mostly paleo, avoiding grains as much as possible, but I still eat/drink dairy.

I imagine I eat around 2500 calories a day, approximately 150g protein a day. I've never truly counted, but have estimated a few days in a row to get an idea.

If more info is needed I'll post it. I understand I won't just hit these goals quickly, and some may even take years to hit, but right now I'm kind of just doing my own thing, and I'd like to get a more organized approach.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Dustin Wintczak
Banned Dustin Wintczak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Richland  WA
Posts: 1,788
Re: Programming suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Chanthaseny View Post
I've done quite a bit of searching but I can't really decide what programming is best for me. I do not have a Crossfit box near me so I do all my workouts on my own.

I have access to limited weights at work (firefighter) and have easy access to a park trail and a track.

I've always had an athletic nature, and while I did let my self go a couple times over the years, I never got super overweight. I've started doing obstacle runs (Warrior Dashes, Tough Mudders) as motivation to get and stay in shape.

I've got several goals I want to meet but I'm finding it difficult to decide on what Crossfit programming is going to get me there with the most efficiency.
I'm pretty close to some goals, and a ways off of some others. I'll list what my current goals are and how close I am as of right now.

Running:
400m: Goal is to run under 55 seconds. current best is 75 seconds.
1 mile: Goal is to run under 7 minutes. My current best is 7:33
5k: Goal is to run under 25 minutes. My Current best is 26:25.

Finish the local Warrior Dash in under 40 minutes (first time I took it easy because I was running with out of shape friends and wanted to just finish. Second time I sprained my ankle in the first mile, still finished but it wasn't pretty)

Weight lifting:
Bench Press: Goal is to bench 1 rep max of 300+. Currently bench 250
Squat: Goal is to squat 500+. Currently squat is 410
Dead lift: Goal is to lift 350+. Current is 250
Hang Clean: Goal is to clean 300+. Current is 225

I am 5' 10" and 200 pounds. Of course I would like to look ripped etc but mass/looks etc come second to meeting all my goals. I don't care if I weigh 180 or 250 as long as I hit those goals.

I eat mostly paleo, avoiding grains as much as possible, but I still eat/drink dairy.

I imagine I eat around 2500 calories a day, approximately 150g protein a day. I've never truly counted, but have estimated a few days in a row to get an idea.

If more info is needed I'll post it. I understand I won't just hit these goals quickly, and some may even take years to hit, but right now I'm kind of just doing my own thing, and I'd like to get a more organized approach.
You're going to get a whole bunch of different answers to this question as far as programming goes (GSLP, CFFB, Outlaw etc.). I had a question about a few things. Well mainly the items I've highlighted in bold.

First the 400m sprint, is your time slow because you gas out and slow way down or are you just slow? I don't mean that as an insult but I would think that if you're just slow it's going to be very difficult to shave off 20 seconds on a 400m time. Unless you've got just terrible form.

Second and more importantly your deadlift/squat/clean numbers are WAY out of whack. If you're squating 400+ and only DL'ing 250 (and cleaning 225?) then you're doing something very wrong or maybe you had an injury? Generally a healthy individual with decent form who has a legit 400+ squat should be DL'ing 425 or more.

All that said, do a search for any of the following programs:

GSLP (Greyskull Linear Progression)
CFFB (Crossfit Football)
The Outlaw Way

Based on your goals I would lean towards either GSLP or CFFB. The Outlaw Way is awesome but will spend more time working on CF specific skills that you may not want or need to spend time on. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Cody Chanthaseny
Member Cody Chanthaseny is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alma  AR
Posts: 19
Re: Programming suggestion

My 400m is slow mainly because I kind of gas out. I slow down on purpose to keep myself from vomiting. In high school (ten years ago) a 52 second 400m was pretty common for me. I'm sure I could do better if I pushed through, but I want to avoid vomiting.

As far as dead lift and cleans go, I have a weak grip. years ago I could clean 345 with the assistance of lifting straps. I am trying to build strength without the straps. On clean it sometimes feels like I am about to lose my grip and fling the bar (which would be bad).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Programming suggestion

You will probably need to dedicate some specific training time during the week if you want to go sub 55.

Are you using a hook grip? Just do more deads or O-lifts.

I would make a vote for 531 or GSLP with some dedicated Olympic Lifting and track time. Use the track time as conditioning for the most part.

Seeing as you don't care about CF performance, I wouldn't use Outlaw.

Maybe CFFB, or just use some of their conditioning workouts on occasion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Cody Chanthaseny
Member Cody Chanthaseny is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alma  AR
Posts: 19
Re: Programming suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
You will probably need to dedicate some specific training time during the week if you want to go sub 55.

Are you using a hook grip? Just do more deads or O-lifts.

I would make a vote for 531 or GSLP with some dedicated Olympic Lifting and track time. Use the track time as conditioning for the most part.

Seeing as you don't care about CF performance, I wouldn't use Outlaw.

Maybe CFFB, or just use some of their conditioning workouts on occasion.
I have tried the hook grip but it hurts my thumb. I could be doing it wrong. My lifting is limited to every third day when I'm on shift so I usually lift at work and run on my off days.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Programming suggestion

Quote:
I have tried the hook grip but it hurts my thumb.
Tape your thumbs...and use the ****ing hook grip.

It'll get better over time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
Joshua Murphy
Moderator Joshua Murphy is offline
 
Joshua Murphy's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland  ME
Posts: 1,131
Re: Programming suggestion

CFFB may be what you are looking for. Start with Amateur off season to see how your gains go in a linear fashion. Stick with it for 3 months and then see where you are. I would also add some grip work, because as mentioned, you seem like you should have a lot more capacity in your dead. Do you alternate your grip when deading? (one hand overhand, one hand underhand grip?) Some quick suggestions are Farmers walks, rows, db rows...

Let us know what you decide and in three months, let us know how you made out.

Good luck!
__________________
If you don't push yourself, who will?

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
Cody Chanthaseny
Member Cody Chanthaseny is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alma  AR
Posts: 19
Re: Programming suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Murphy View Post
CFFB may be what you are looking for. Start with Amateur off season to see how your gains go in a linear fashion. Stick with it for 3 months and then see where you are. I would also add some grip work, because as mentioned, you seem like you should have a lot more capacity in your dead. Do you alternate your grip when deading? (one hand overhand, one hand underhand grip?) Some quick suggestions are Farmers walks, rows, db rows...

Let us know what you decide and in three months, let us know how you made out.

Good luck!
Thanks everyone. I definitely will have to add more grip work with whatever I decide to do. I KNOW I can dead lift and clean more, but only with straps and I want to avoid that for now.

I do not use the alternate grip on dead lift.

I'm going to do some more research on CFFB and GSLP for sure
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Programming suggestion

Mixed grip on your deadlift allows you to lift more weight in your dead but I wouldn't say it's necessary going to make your grip stronger.

Hang from stuff more. Do towel/rope pullups instead of with a bar or just climb rope (without hands). Use one of the crusher grippy things. Farmer walks like Josh talked about. Maybe pinch grip some plates and do farmer walks as well.

Rock climbing is another solution for grip work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Joshua Murphy
Moderator Joshua Murphy is offline
 
Joshua Murphy's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland  ME
Posts: 1,131
Re: Programming suggestion

Another grip trick is putting the weights back with a pinch grip. Gets really fun with 45lb bumpers. Essentially just pinch the weights and farmer walk them back to wherever they are stacked.
__________________
If you don't push yourself, who will?

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion Kevin Burns Technical Support 0 12-29-2010 12:59 PM
A suggestion... Bob Pratt Community 8 07-15-2007 06:10 PM
Comment/Suggestion Roy Workout of the Day 0 12-21-2003 10:02 PM
Coach, a suggestion... Don Milliken Workout of the Day 1 02-25-2003 10:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.