CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Joseph Freije

Profile:
Powermax Squat Stands?

Hey guys- first post here.

I am looking to buy some squat stands to put on my platform I am preparing to build in my basement. I'm an aspiring O-lifter, and would like to train others as well.

What i'm looking for:

Stability- needs to be able to tolerate 500+ (not there yet but someday!)

Somewhat economical- don't want to sacrifice quality, but would prefer to pay under 300 if possible

Don't really need spotter arms/ability to bench. Just something that can take heavy weights!

Right now the PowerMax stands are #1 on my list, especially since Wayfair has them.

Other candidates:

CFF squat stands (cheap option)

Valor BD-9 (supposedly a stronger alternative to their other stands)

Anybody have any experience squatting heavy weights with any of these stands? Appreciate any advice or insight!

Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Powermax Squat Stands?

If you're dead set on independent squat stands, the Rogue S-4s are ridiculously stable. I'm not the biggest fan of independent stands but I've used the S-4s and those things are solid as a rock. I'd recommend those over anything and they're definitely built to take on serious weight. It's more expensive ($350) but I'd say it's definitely worth it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/s4-h-base-1615.php (WFS)

The Powermax stands are ok, but those other two that you mentioned aren't worth it in my opinion if you're looking for serious quality.

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 03-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Joseph Freije

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
If you're dead set on independent squat stands, the Rogue S-4s are ridiculously stable. I'm not the biggest fan of independent stands but I've used the S-4s and those things are solid as a rock. I'd recommend those over anything and they're definitely built to take on serious weight. It's more expensive ($350) but I'd say it's definitely worth it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/s4-h-base-1615.php (WFS)

The Powermax stands are ok, but those other two that you mentioned aren't worth it in my opinion if you're looking for serious quality.
definitely not dead set on independents, just figured they would be cheaper. The S4's do look awesome though- clearly rogue is as solid as anybody out there. just going to have to mull over whether I wanna put up the extra $$. Poor 19yo here!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Freije View Post
definitely not dead set on independents, just figured they would be cheaper. The S4's do look awesome though- clearly rogue is as solid as anybody out there. just going to have to mull over whether I wanna put up the extra $$. Poor 19yo here!
If that's the case and you aren't dead set on them, I'd recommend the BW racks

http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...racks/r04.html (WFS)

These things are a lot lighter and more portable and they're absolutely bulletproof. They're actually a little cheaper ($315) and they're based off the more expensive Ironmind Vulcan stands which are significantly more expensive but aren't much (if any) stronger. These racks are my altime favorite rack to squat out of. They also go low enough for bench press (I know that wasn't a requirement, but just saying.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Jay Taylor

Profile:

I have the CFF ones. They are ok, but not great. The came shipped to me with a giant scratch in the paint. To be fair, I didn't call to complain so I am not sure how they would have handled it, but I just didn't want to have to ship them back.

Adjusting the CFF stands is a real pain too. But maybe all independent stands are? I don't have experience with others.

I am likely going to sell my CFF stands for whatever I can get for them and then get a Rogue S2 for my yard. If you want to stay around $300, I would look into the Again Faster stand. They seem to get good reviews, although I dont have experience with them.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I find the incremental adjustments on the PowerMax stands to be too far apart. I'd recommend trying them out before buying them if possible.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Quote:

These things are a lot lighter and more portable and they're absolutely bulletproof. They're actually a little cheaper ($315) and they're based off the more expensive Ironmind Vulcan stands which are significantly more expensive but aren't much (if any) stronger. These racks are my altime favorite rack to squat out of. They also go low enough for bench press (I know that wasn't a requirement, but just saying.
We have these at my box. I prefer the J-cup approach as it's a bigger target to hit. They are okay though.

Don't get independents unless you have to for some reason. Way harder to use. You don't want to wonder if you have everything lined up right when you have 400+ lbs on your back.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Joseph Freije

Profile:

Quote:

These really intrigue me. Haven't heard a negative word about 'em. If I could get them for 315 shipped then that would really make things interesting. Then again- 150 dollars more or so isn't that big of deal in the long run right? I guess that is the question.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I'm not sure how much shipping would be, it won't be $315 shipped. But I can definitely tell you that you'll have these things for life. They're really easy to adjust. When you're ordering them, ask them to add the UHMW plastic on the bar catches. It doesn't come that way, but I know they'll do it (not sure if there's an added charge or not) cause that's how mine are and the ones at my gym. They'll save your bar's knurling from getting dinged up.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Joseph Freije

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not sure how much shipping would be, it won't be $315 shipped. But I can definitely tell you that you'll have these things for life. They're really easy to adjust. When you're ordering them, ask them to add the UHMW plastic on the bar catches. It doesn't come that way, but I know they'll do it (not sure if there's an added charge or not) cause that's how mine are and the ones at my gym. They'll save your bar's knurling from getting dinged up.

http://www.fringesport.com/products/bw-squat-rack (WFS)

here they have them for 369 shipped. I could get a pendlay elite for about 400. man o man this is tough. The research shall go on. I guess I'd rather have remorse over spending extra money than have remorse over buying a cruddy rack