CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Daniel Gustafson

Profile:
Lowering BF%

I am trying to lower my BF% to about 7 or 8 percent, but am not seeing any results. I am an active athlete and can't always get a perfectly balanced meal. However, most of the time I am able to eat a meal composed of a protein (chicken and shrimp mostly) and lots of vegetables. I drink milk with my meals as well. For breakfast it's usually 4 scrambled eggs and a glass of milk. I tend to grab a poptart every now and then for lack of time to eat something proper, but it doesn't happen much.

But if I am eating mostly good foods, and working out regularly (almost every day) why am I not seeing results? I stay the same weight which is 185 lbs. and get stronger as well as excelling in crossfit, but my BF% is still around 13%. Any ideas?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Lowering BF%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gustafson View Post
But if I am eating mostly good foods, and working out regularly (almost every day) why am I not seeing results? I stay the same weight which is 185 lbs. and get stronger as well as excelling in crossfit, but my BF% is still around 13%. Any ideas?
1) The measurement itself could be inaccurate. Most bf% measurements are.
2) You're storing fat due to stress (overtraining, lack of sleep, lack of food, life stress, or all of the above).
3) You're eating too much.

Katherine
Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Scott Walters

Profile:

What she said (and in my experience, mostly the stress thing with athletes).
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Many people, including me, have good results with cutting out milk when trying to lose fat. I would say pop tarts are a bigger problem, but you said that's only every now and then. Being that you are having milk at every meal it might be an easier/more effective target.

Last edited by Jordan K Smith : 08-09-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gustafson View Post
I am trying to lower my BF% to about 7 or 8 percent, but am not seeing any results. I am an active athlete and can't always get a perfectly balanced meal. However, most of the time I am able to eat a meal composed of a protein (chicken and shrimp mostly) and lots of vegetables. I drink milk with my meals as well. For breakfast it's usually 4 scrambled eggs and a glass of milk. I tend to grab a poptart every now and then for lack of time to eat something proper, but it doesn't happen much.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Weight Loss. (wfs)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Yep, lose the milk.

Keep your total carb intake low (in the 15% range). If you do so you will lose body fat especially if you continue exercising as you are. Once you get to your target you can bump the carbs back up to a more livable level.

This diet will not be good for performance, especially in the short term, but will strip the fat away.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Chris that's exactly what I did to shed 17lbs last month. Yes it was hard training and performance def wasn't first but the fat fell off. I also Fasted until lunch did my WOD in the afternoon and had most carbs PWO.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Daniel Gustafson

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will give the milk thing a try, and keep carbs lower. I appreciate the help!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
Jake Edwards

Profile:

In addition to ditching the milk and "occasional" poptart snacks, I'd recommend dialing the training back a bit. Training each and every day is counterproductive to both fat loss and muscle gain. You're hammering the adrenal-corticol access to a breaking point doing CrossFit 6 or so times a week.