CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
How to get better at thrusters?

So, thrusters are probably my most neglected movement. I almost never program them into my WODs, because i seem to get lazy or forget to. However, I want to change that. I want to be able to do Fran as Rx'ed. I weigh about 130#, and the most I ever did it was 75#, with a time of 6:48. That was in December. How do I get better at thrusters, and how can I move up in weight enough to do Fran? Should I:

A) Warmup with them?
B) Put them more in my workouts?
(For Fran specifically)
C) Find a weight (75# or 80# i guess) And push myself to do 21 reps of it?
D) Go heavier (85# i guess) and just practice until I can get tons of reps in?

Thanks to anyone who can help
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: How to get better at thrusters?

All improvement that I've ever noticed in my thrusters has come from working on its components rather than working on thrusters specifically.

Improve your front squat, back squat, and strength overhead, and you'll most likely improve your thrusters.

There's the cardiovascular side as well, of course. My struggle now isn't so much the weight but rather the ability to go unbroken for whatever the required period is. I can do Fran Rx'd, but I can't do the first 21 unbroken (or the 15, or the 9, for that matter) yet.

- Mark
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
All improvement that I've ever noticed in my thrusters has come from working on its components rather than working on thrusters specifically.

Improve your front squat, back squat, and strength overhead, and you'll most likely improve your thrusters.

There's the cardiovascular side as well, of course. My struggle now isn't so much the weight but rather the ability to go unbroken for whatever the required period is. I can do Fran Rx'd, but I can't do the first 21 unbroken (or the 15, or the 9, for that matter) yet.

- Mark
Okay, that makes sense. If I can front squat 175#, Push (split) Jerk 135#, and OHP 115#, what would you say my weakness is/what does it look like i need to do to improve my thrusters?

Its not cardiovascular, because my muscles are getting tired. I can tell its strength, or lack thereof.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Push press not jerk is more important to the thruster but overall your front squat and back squat and upper body just need to go up. It will happen and there is no point in specializing your training for a single work out like fran its really not that important.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I'm in a similar place as Mark. I've got the strength for hitting 95# thrusters without any problem. My problem is that I don't personally program them (or overhead squats) enough, and my cardio side maxes out before the muscles do. Also, I lack the flexibility to get a good rack position for thrusters (since its not a full front squat rack position).

I've been thinking of putting them in my warm up at a light weight just to get some practice time with them.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Sean Andrews

Profile:

When you practice/warmup (every day) use heavier weights, assuming your form is correct. Do less reps but heavier. Thrusters because of ROM are very taxing if it's not endurance fatigue it's muscle fatigue you are experiencing. Also work flexibility so you can grip the bar at the bottom of the squat. Until the flexibility comes around practice regripping from front rack to overhead(elbows up!). Really have to concentrate keeping the bar on your front rack obviously closest to midline to keep the movement efficient. Also could try using wider squat stance to get more leg muscles involved taking some load off the quads.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

When you used 75lbs @ 6:48, was that unbroken? If not, roughly how did it go?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Okay, that makes sense. If I can front squat 175#, Push (split) Jerk 135#, and OHP 115#, what would you say my weakness is/what does it look like i need to do to improve my thrusters?

Its not cardiovascular, because my muscles are getting tired. I can tell its strength, or lack thereof.
A push jerk is not the same as a split jerk.

If you can get your FS to 225# and your OHP to 135# you're going to be a lot more comfortable with 95# thrusters.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
When you used 75lbs @ 6:48, was that unbroken? If not, roughly how did it go?
It was a little broken up, but i dont rember what because i did it a while back. If i had to guess, thrusters probly looked like:
21 - 10+6/7+5/4
15 - 7+5+3
9 - 4+3+2

Pullups were almost unbroken.

Why? (again, this is a guess, i didnt film it and i did it decembr 2010
Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
It was a little broken up, but i dont rember what because i did it a while back. If i had to guess, thrusters probly looked like:
21 - 10+6/7+5/4
15 - 7+5+3
9 - 4+3+2

Pullups were almost unbroken.

Why? (again, this is a guess, i didnt film it and i did it decembr 2010
Why? Because of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Andrews View Post
When you practice/warmup (every day) use heavier weights, assuming your form is correct. Do less reps but heavier. Thrusters because of ROM are very taxing if it's not endurance fatigue it's muscle fatigue you are experiencing. Also work flexibility so you can grip the bar at the bottom of the squat. Until the flexibility comes around practice regripping from front rack to overhead(elbows up!). Really have to concentrate keeping the bar on your front rack obviously closest to midline to keep the movement efficient. Also could try using wider squat stance to get more leg muscles involved taking some load off the quads.
And like Sean said, work on your flexibility and your form. That and just do more front squats for reps and more push presses for reps and more thrusters for reps.

I don't agree with having to have a big front squat and OHP in order to be able to do Fran Rx'd. It's more about muscle endurance with proper form.