CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Tom Melvin

Profile:
Common Mistakes and Pitfalls

Hey everyone,

Itís obviously my first time posting on here so hello, im not really one for posting on forums so sorry if i have made any outragous faux pas.

Basically me and my friend have been very much converted to the Crossfit world but donít really have anywhere appropriate to train and can also see a very good opportunity to do something we love as a business, so we are thinking of opening a CF gym in our home town in the UK. Itís only in the very early stages of planning but I was wondering (in the nicest possible way) what kind of mistakes and snags occurred during the start up of your gyms that in hindsight are now obvious to you. We really want to make this work because we love the whole ethos of Crossfit and hopefully your advice can give us a little edge to making it a success.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:
Re: Common Mistakes and Pitfalls

Spend the money and get the best equipment right away. Don't go cheap or you will get cheap and it will break. Concept 2 rowers are pretty indestructable so if you can find a used one (www.kijiji.ca) it's worth the savings.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
John D. Burch

Profile:

1) decide if you want a business or a club
2) understand this simple equation - great coaching + sound business = success
3) decide where you want to go... what is your goal? how many members?
4) don't price yourself too low.. unless you think that is what you are worth.
5) duplicate yourself quickly but don't hand off the reigns until that person is EXACTLY as awesome as you.
6) model yourself after people who are really experts... take advice from people who have build an incredible business... ask what their total gross is. how many active clients? What is their average client value? How many people does it take to make their business work?

That might be enough for now... email me if you want more.

john@crossfitla.com
Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Ash Graham

Profile:

Tom
I'm in a pretty similar boat up in Carlisle, Cumbria, there's a few of us been training in a globo(ish) type gym for about a year now but more people are starting to catch up on what we're doing, which is good but there just isnt the equipment or the space to do it right.
I've been looking into opening a box but you have to find the right place and buy the right kit, if you don't get it as right as you can from the start it will make it even harder.
Pricing is always going to be an issue as you need to make enough money to at least cover your costs but not put people off. I'd hoped to charge around £40 per month, the local globo's charge £20-£40 but you have to remember you have a specific audience and they are going to get coached not just given a "program" to follow day in day out.
I'm also in the early stages but have booked a level 1 cert in April, if your serious about opening, maybe we could try and buy equipment together and get a discount? Worth a shot.
Pm me if interested
Best of luck
Ash