CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
First "Fight Gone Bad" Reflections and Adjustments

I did my first FGB yesterday and f'd it all up. I could tell after I was done with the workout when I was completely coherent. You know that feeling that you didn't work hard enough and just wasted your whole workout. That is how I felt driving home from the gym. I am thinking about a do-over on Friday night if any one has other suggestions. Otherwise, I think I am going to make the below adjustments and see if I can't kick my *** Friday night.

My first mistake was substituting traditional upright rows w/45lb bar instead of Sumo Deadlift High pulls. These were all arms and I ended up resting way too much. I see why SDHP's work better here because you get the explosive drive off the ground. I think the 45lbs was fine but next time I am considering subbing hang clean pulls. I don't know how to do SDHP's and also heard they are a controversial exercise. I think I can get the same effects from starting at the hang position and exploding and pulling the bar as high as I can with elbows high and to the outside.

Next mistake was stepping down from box jumps instead of jumping down with both feet. This gave me too much rest time. Next time I plan to jump up and jump down with both feet and immediately explode into the next jump.

Final Mistake was subbing 45lb press instead of push press. Same as SDHP's, I needed something with a more explosive component like Push press to keep the weight moving the whole minute. I had way too much rest time here except for the third round when I converted to push presses. I think the weight is fine I just needed to do push presses the whole time.

I had a slight jog across the gym to the row machine but I don't think this down time had as averse affects as the above exercises did.

Timer wise, my watch has a countdown but it doesn't repeat. So I had to reset the minute between each exercise. I don't think this adversely affected me. I did it real quick during the transition time on each exercise. All my stuff was right next to each other except for the aformentioned row machine that was about 20yards away, but had to zig zag through some globo cardio machines.

Last edited by Brian Lawyer : 12-01-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Scott Stevens

Profile:
Re: First "Fight Gone Bad" Reflections and Adjustments

Watch a few videos, do a few practice reps, and do the SDHPs. It's basically a upright row from the floor, but it ends up being WAY MORE FUN than that. The "controversy" IIRC is in the "elbows high and wide" part of the movement which people think could cause a shoulder impingement. If you were doing the upright row you were already doing that, did those cause you any issue?

For the box jumps, some people step down, some jump down. Depending on how good you are at it it will be faster or slower.

Do the push presses.

For the clock issue, maybe just watch your stopwatch and move stations every minute.

You did wall balls at a globo? The thought of that makes me giggle.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
Watch a few videos, do a few practice reps, and do the SDHPs. It's basically a upright row from the floor, but it ends up being WAY MORE FUN than that. The "controversy" IIRC is in the "elbows high and wide" part of the movement which people think could cause a shoulder impingement. If you were doing the upright row you were already doing that, did those cause you any issue?

For the box jumps, some people step down, some jump down. Depending on how good you are at it it will be faster or slower.

Do the push presses.

For the clock issue, maybe just watch your stopwatch and move stations every minute.

You did wall balls at a globo? The thought of that makes me giggle.
The only reason I even scaled and did upright rows and press is because that is the FGB that BJ Penn said he did in his book. However, I have a sneaky suspicion the publishers didn't want to have to explain what a SDHP and Push Press were, so they just converted it to an Upright row and press.

I thought about learning SDHP's but you know the globo doesn't have 10lb 17.5inch diameter plates to pull from the deck. I suppose I could bring myown from home. It's only carrying around 20lbs. I am sure I can do SDHP fine after researching them. I have really good proprioception and, if you look at my log, I don't think I am a beginner. 9 times out of ten no matter what exercise you are doing you just have to keep your chest up and back straight.

they actually have a little wall built into this globo gym that is designed to bounce the medicine balls off of. I think I am the only person who knows this though.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What was your score?

Katherine
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What was your score?

Katherine
Sorry Katherine. I didn't count. I have trouble sometimes counting to 5 reps on heavy squats. Much less the hundreds of reps I went through for this workout. . A score would have been a good baseline but I just went by how I felt afterwards. Like I noted above, I felt way too good so I clearly didn't work hard enough.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Watch a few videos, do a few practice reps, and do the SDHPs. It's basically a upright row from the floor, but it ends up being WAY MORE FUN than that.
Hey Scott, So based on your advise I was researching the movement so I could do SDHP's as Rx'd next time. It appears this movement makes a lot more sense using a Kettlebell. So why don't they just change the prescription to 2 pood Kettlebell which is standard Crossfit equipment (i.e. used in several other WOD's)....
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Hey Scott, So based on your advise I was researching the movement so I could do SDHP's as Rx'd next time. It appears this movement makes a lot more sense using a Kettlebell. So why don't they just change the prescription to 2 pood Kettlebell which is standard Crossfit equipment (i.e. used in several other WOD's)....
It's not the same movement with a KB, because of the balance issue with a barbell.

Katherine
Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

FYI, I think these are the fight gone bad rules which do call for SDHP and push press...

http://www.fgb4.org/2009/05/24/the-rules/

I'm only pointing them out to be helpful and because I just did FGB and screwed up the size of the box (24" instead of 20") and was stepping up/down instead of jumping which evidentally is no no in the regular mens. But, I really don't like jumping down from 2ft in the air 60 times...I have a bothersome ankle and jumping down from heights on it seems like a bad idea.

Upright rows always caused me more issues than SDHP did. Especially in the wrist/forearm area. SDHP should be easier on the shoulders since your propelling the bar with your hip drive rather than pulling it up with your shoulders.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 12-02-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
The "controversy" IIRC is in the "elbows high and wide" part of the movement which people think could cause a shoulder impingement. If you were doing the upright row you were already doing that, did those cause you any issue?...You did wall balls at a globo? The thought of that makes me giggle.
Scott, I thought having elbows high was the part of the pull that prevented shoulder impingement. I recall back in the day when I was doing old school bodybuilding programs that included upright rows it was always a huge deal to keep elbows high. Also, I forgot to tell you a funny globo story. There was some chick laying on the ground doing some ab exercises next to where I was doing wall balls and I told her she better hope I don't get tired and drop the ball on her....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It's not the same movement with a KB, because of the balance issue with a barbell.
Katherine, so the KB version is not identical to barbell, obviously, but is a KB SDHP is a legitimate exercise?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
FYI, I think these are the fight gone bad rules which do call for SDHP and push press...

http://www.fgb4.org/2009/05/24/the-rules/
Thanks Matt, For those following this thread, I plan to re-do FGB sometime this weekend. I am debating if I want to be the dude at the Globo that brings his own 10lb bumpers from home just so I can pull 75lb SDHP's from the floor. I was asking about the kettlebell version because I have a 45lb kettlebell that I thought I could bring and be less obvious. Otherwise, I am going to do FGB as prescribed and try to count reps and calories this time and report back to you all....