CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
have a chronic S-I joing subluxation that i'm seeing a chiropractor for, and have been experiencing amazing results, but at this stage my doc doesn't want me to do any of the olympic/power lifts for a few more months as these are the exercises that seem to cripple me the next day after doing them. lately i 've been doing a lot of pull-ups, push-ups, muscle-ups, bench presses for upper body, but aside from pistols havent really figured out any other exercises for my legs (weighted squats are out too).

any advice or suggestions is appreciated! thanks in advance!

scott
Old 08-06-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
David Birozy

Profile:
I don't know about CF stuff because I'm new here, but from another life I have some suggestions. Have you tried sissy squats? See http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...ssy_squats.htm if you don't know what these are. One note not mentioned in this link. Make sure on the way up you keep your torso and hips in line (like a plank), and raise up with the quads. I see a lot of beginners lower themselves, then hinge at the waist up to a vertical position like they are squatting, and stand up. If you do this, it's no longer a sissy squat, it’s a basic squat without any weights. By the way, the name is misleading - they are not for sissy's, especially when you improve and decide to hold a 45 lb plate across your chest!

Done correctly, I don't think they would put much stress on the sacroiliac joint (SI joint.) because the hip, torso and legs stay in one plane. Sorry, the teacher part of me is coming out - the SI joint is where the sacrum (fused vertebra sandwiched between the bottom of the spine and the tailbone (aka coccyx) connects with the medial (inside part) of the pelvis (hip bone)). Of course, if it hurts, don't do it!

Other options may be the old stand-by of leg extensions and hamstring curls.

Does riding a stationary (either upright or recumbent bike) at a high level cause pain? If not, that might be something to do. I suspect a Stairmaster might irritate the SI joint, but I'm not sure about an elliptical trainer.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Can you run without pain? If so, hill sprints are in order, as are either sled pulls (making them out of tires is a good bet, any big plastic bin works too) or car pushes would be good bets. Can you do box jumps? Is the issue with squats the loading of the back- in which case you could rope some plates so they hang between your legs, get on something tall, and do poor-man's belt squats. Not that sissy squats and leg curls/extension might not be interesting...hehe. Go push a truck.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:15 AM   #4
Paul Symes

Profile:
Good luck with the SI joint; it's what I had too. Mine has been fixed now but I was out of action for some time so I know what you're going through.

Our injuries might be different but telling you what helped me might be usefull. Mine was caused by my pelvis twisting round, which was caused by my muscles going into a spasm, which was caused by....no idea, maybe stress.

I found very light squats, lunges and SLDLs helped me along with running and stretching. I also bought a hand-held massager which I used on the muscles that were spasming (gluteus medius) and just weeks later I was ok after limping round for a year. I also found that not going to the chiropractor and going to an Osteo instead helped.

The best stretches I found were the Pigeon Pose, bent-over lunging and hip-rolls. I also found that cat-stretches helped and so did cat/camel yoga pose

http://www.sportyoga.com/images/spor...igeon-pose.jpg

Hope you get fixed soon

Paul
Old 08-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
paul-

my injury has causedd my pelvis to actully dip/tilt down to the right. when i first saw the x-ray i was like holy crap. as a result it's causing both muscle spasms and numbness and tingling down my right leg to my knee (caused by pinched nerves). got this wonderful injury unloading a 475-500 pounder from the ambulance (with three other people helping me mind you). wheels didn't lock and my back went out trying to hold her up. also been trying yoga but that has been aggrivating it too, so the doc said to stay away from it for a while. she is very encouraging and says it's a fairly common problem, and since i'm young and already in decent shape it will definately heal.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Tom Shook

Profile:

Scott, bad news about the injury. next time call out a truck company..there probably just working out or cooking dinner anyways..;-). Seriously though, I wish you a quick recovery.
As far as training goes, why not just train around your injury and get really good at the stuff that doesn't cause pain and spasms. You could become a 'king of muscle ups!!"
Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
Hi Scott,

I nice picture! I have to ask is that pic taken in the Gunks? I've been there and I swear it looks exactly like a climb we did. I think it is somewhere around 5.6 or so.

Anyway, I am a kinesiologist (full time) and work with lots of injured people. I think your best option for your SI injury is to go along with light lifting with techniques you have 'mastered' and add stability work. Also strengthen you lower back with endurance work (bridging and stuff). Keep you hips level at all times through all exercises.
Examples of stability work for trunk could be on all 4's and lifting opposite arm and leg to full extension (advanced would be same, but on a stability ball!! this is a good one),

standing with #5 dumbbell in hands with arms straight and aligned with your sternum, stand on one leg, rotate from upper body only as far as possible while keeping your hips facing foward, (advanced = same thing but while kneeling on a stability ball),

The best option is to find a physio clinic or a gym that has a Kinesiologist who works with injuries and get them to make you a program after and assessement.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Scott,
Paul Chek has a lot to say about this sort of problem - muscle imbalances shifting the pelvis around - in his "Scientific Back Training" video series. Also Egoscue has a lot to say about pelvis problems.