CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Jordan Spritzer

Profile:
Re: Sean Sherk's "Caveman" workout

This caveman thing definately does NOT look easy but if the creator or practitioners think that crossfit is too easy by comparison maybe they should try warming up with Fran, doing Grace, and cooling off with Murph. Lets see if they have the breath left to spit out the word "*****"
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Jordan Spritzer

Profile:

not "*****", pu$$y
Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Matt Hughes is doing the same type workout to prepare for Serra. Via Sherdog:

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest news coming out of the Minnesota camp is the state of Hughes’ cardio. According to Nelson, Hughes not only participated in Sherk’s tortuous endurance training but did not miss a step, going stride for stride with “The Muscle Shark.” Long considered to have one of the deepest gas tanks in the sport, Hughes may have just upgraded to a bottomless reserve, especially considering his showdown with Serra is only a three-round contest.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Tom Woodward

Profile:

It's very hard to believe that this guy devised putting a stopwatch to these circuits with these exact exercises without at least being inspired by CrossFit. I know circuit training has been around for years, but that would be one hell of a coincidence.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/223 (WFS)
Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
It's very hard to believe that this guy devised putting a stopwatch to these circuits with these exact exercises without at least being inspired by CrossFit. I know circuit training has been around for years, but that would be one hell of a coincidence.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/223 (WFS)
I agree. This caveman thing is difficult to discern from CF. Constantly varied, if not randomized, intense, timed workouts done in rounds. Hmm. The only thing missing (I assume) is Oly lifts, since cavemen didn't have Oly bars - but then they didn't have big rubber tires and bouncy ball thingamajigs on a string either.

Last edited by Ned Ferguson : 05-20-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

I spoke to some of the folks from there. They offer certifications much like our organization; he said that some of their base came from CrossFit but they looked to improve on the process. That holds true to American values. Sherk was in awesome shape and most of the exercises they do are not in CrossFit. Just cause it's timed or in circuit form doesn't make it CrossFit.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post
I spoke to some of the folks from there. They offer certifications much like our organization; he said that some of their base came from CrossFit but they looked to improve on the process. That holds true to American values. Sherk was in awesome shape and most of the exercises they do are not in CrossFit. Just cause it's timed or in circuit form doesn't make it CrossFit.
I agree with taking Cf and trying to improve it, adapt it, or whatever. It is very poor form (no pun intended) however to turn around and run down that which is your very foundation. The argument that most of their exercises are not in CF is not very convincing. You can plug any functional exercise into the CF model and it is still CrossFit. Coach has said that the tasks do not matter. You can choose them (as long as they run the gamut of the domains of fitness). I like to do manmakers in my wods, others do sandbags and tire sledges. None of that shows up on the main page. So what? It is still CF.

Last edited by Ned Ferguson : 05-20-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #18
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Caveman training looks specifically for wrestling and punching.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
Damian Hirtz

Profile:

I run CrossFit Minnesota and I'm a former training partner of Sean Sherk. I worked with him for his first 30 fights. Sean is a very hard worker and a GREAT guy! No matter what program he does he will excel.

I work with Brock Larson, who will also be fighting in this weekends UFC. He does CF. He is strong as an ox, has superior conditioning and tends to overpower and physically dominate his competion. I also know that he doesn't think CF is easy.

I have never met the guy that runs the gym Sean workouts at. I don't even know the name of the place. What's with the annomosity? They actually sell shirts with that "If it was easy it would be CrossFit" crap on them. It doesnt bother me. I just wish they would at least put my phone number and/or web address below it.....thanks for the free advertising.

Their comments about CF are the typical uneducated crap. The "I heard..." or "As I understand it..." Blah, blah, blah. They really have no idea. Instead of looking at it as competition, look at it as something else that is good, just different.

Ignorance, ego and arrogance make people say and do some pretty stupid things.

Damian
CrossFitMN
www.crossfitmn.com

Last edited by Damian Hirtz : 05-22-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #20
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Hirtz View Post
I run CrossFit Minnesota and I'm a former training partner of Sean Sherk. I worked with him for his first 30 fights. Sean is a very hard worker and a GREAT guy! No matter what program he does he will excel.

I work with Brock Larson, who will also be fighting in this weekends UFC. He does CF. He is strong as an ox, has superior conditioning and tends to overpower and physically dominate his competion. I also know that he doesn't think CF is easy.

I have never met the guy that runs the gym Sean workouts at. I don't even know the name of the place. What's with the annomosity? They actually sell shirts with that "If it was easy it would be CrossFit" crap on them. It doesnt bother me. I just wish they would at least put my phone number and/or web address below it.....thanks for the free advertising.

Their comments about CF are the typical uneducated crap. The "I heard..." or "As I understand it..." Blah, blah, blah. They really have no idea. Instead of looking at it as competition, look at it as something else that is good, just different.

Ignorance, ego and arrogance make people say and do some pretty stupid things.

Damian
CrossFitMN
www.crossfitmn.com
Nice break for Larson getting televised. I loved that finish.

+submission of the night!

Last edited by Ned Ferguson : 05-23-2009 at 09:48 PM.