CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Jesse Arnold

Profile:
Double Unders

I am sure this has been asked 100 times but when I tried to search for double unders I could not find what I am looking for.

I come from a wrestling background so jumping rope is easy for me. However, I never got into any fancy stuff (crossing, double unders, etc.). I can jump rope at a quick pace for a long time. But I am having a hard time getting the timing down for the double unders. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Jerry Maestas

Profile:
Re: Double Unders

Yup...Practice, practice, practice. Hit yourself in the head a couple million times, and then keep going. You will find that you will have to do a couple of singles in between the doubles to keep the rhythm going, but once you do get it down, you don't have to do as many singles to keep the rhythm. I am down to two singles per double under, used to be closer to 6 per double under. You will be amazed at how quickly it comes once you set your mind that you will get it down!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Andrea Johnston

Profile:

Haha, I know where you are coming from... I've spent many hours just practising them (with the marks from my "Nike speed rope" to prove it... Its a great rope but the whip bruises I get last for days... good incentive to get better!)

Get a rythm with singles going, then try one double under and then back to singles. Try decreasing the singles until you can do double unders one after another.

Also, figure out how you need to jump. I can do a few double unders in a row if i just jump off my toes, but if I kick my knees ups I've gotten up to 18 in a row.
Just practise and you'll find your own rythm!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Yep, just get a rhythm going with singles and progress as best you can.

Remember that with "correct" double-unders, you shouldn't be jumping much higher than you do for singles. A little higher, yes, but not much. Most of the speed should come from your wrists rather than from the height of your jump and time in the air.

I find I'm much more efficient at them if I do them this way, than if I try to tuck my legs up and get as much airtime as possible.

My max in a row is 10, and as soon as I start having to bring my legs up higher, I lose my coordination and it's downhill from there.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Yep, just get a rhythm going with singles and progress as best you can.

Remember that with "correct" double-unders, you shouldn't be jumping much higher than you do for singles. A little higher, yes, but not much. Most of the speed should come from your wrists rather than from the height of your jump and time in the air.

I find I'm much more efficient at them if I do them this way, than if I try to tuck my legs up and get as much airtime as possible.

My max in a row is 10, and as soon as I start having to bring my legs up higher, I lose my coordination and it's downhill from there.
This is an interesting observation and might explain why the longer I do them in a single session, the more I can do. Maybe I'm trying too hard at the beginning to bring the legs up high and toward the end I'm just working on rope speed. Yesterday we did Filthy 50 and it took me probably 8 tries to get the first 25, then only 2 sets for the last 25.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

The jump is exactly the same, just the rope moves faster.

I'd watch (WFS):
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...LeePosture.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...ubleUnders.wmv