CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Tim Ferraris

Profile:
I was hooked from Day One, but now...

...after 6 weeks of CFing, I have a true measuring stick to compare my physical performance before CF to my physical performance now.

First, the background: After an ACL tear and reconstruction in early 2004 at age 23 and the resultant inactivity, my weight topped out at around 235 on a 6'1'' frame. I was encouraged to run as part of the rehab and I did so on an infrequent basis for a number of months. A buddy of mine trained and ran a marathon and lost a bunch of weight, yadda yadda, at the same time that Knoxville announced that it was starting a new marathon. So I signed up for the Knoxville 1/2 marathon, and from that point on, I was a runner, and not much else.

In the 3+ years since I began running, my weight has dropped to the 185-190 range. I gradually added more physical activity besides the running, including basketball, racquetball, and some weight training in the usual ineffective style.

One day after my buddy (same buddy) sent me an e-mail with crossfit.com somewhere within it, the two of us performed our first WOD, a scaled version of Fight Gone Bad. That was 6 weeks ago today.

Because we've been focusing our time on CF, I have not run one step more than what has been demanded within the WOD. We've been hitting the WOD as hard as we can, scaling where we need to, and we've recently begun giving the CFWU much greater importance. I've been making strictly zoned meals for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and I've been eating as well as I can with dinner, which is much harder for me to do within the confines of my dear wife's gourmet cooking, which usually contains some kind of starch that I'm trying to cut back on. Also, if there's beer in the fridge, you can bet I won't be letting it just sit there and stare at me.

Yesterday, I ran this week's 5K WOD. (We do the main site's WOD one day late). My previous 5K PR was set in a race in July 2006 at 23:35. I ran the same race last summer in 23:37. (Obviously I haven't been improving at all.)

Wednesday morning I had to run the WOD by myself b/c my buddy had an early meeting. I wasn't expecting a wonderful performance due to my lack of focus on running and not having my workout partner there to push me. To make a way-too-long story short, I ran the 5K in 22:33, taking more than one minute off my previous PR. If I can improve that much in six weeks, I'm sure I will be completely floored with what I can accomplish in six months or even six years.

Thank you CrossFit.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: I was hooked from Day One, but now...

Wow! That is incredible! Glad to know that east does it CrossFit has that much of an effect.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ferraris View Post
......Also, if there's beer in the fridge, you can bet I won't be letting it just sit there and stare at me.......
Quote of the year award right there! Amen BROTHER!

Good job on the 5K, it is a great story!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Brian Wahl

Profile:

Awesome story. I've been doing CrossFit for 2 months exactly, and my gains have been pretty amazing as well. I played college football (linebacker), so I'm familiar with all the olympic lifts, and since college (5 years), I've been wasting my time with a bodybuilding type split or the Body-for-Life workout and cardio... Not any more.

In 2 months I took my 5K time from 23:40 to 21:12.

I'm with you - I can't wait to see what my body will be able to do a year (or 5) from now.