CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:
Pemmican

Hi all,

Has anyone tried the pemmican from the company Grassland Beef. I searched the threads, and found that this question was asked but not replied to, so any input would be greatly appreciated. If it was covered before I apologize in advance.

I have never had it before, but it seems like a perfect paleo snack. I currently use 2 onces of Canadian bacon (or turkey slices), two macadamia nuts, and some berries as my 2 block zone/paleo snack.

Best,

Chris
Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Pemmican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Gaskin View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone tried the pemmican from the company Grassland Beef. I searched the threads, and found that this question was asked but not replied to, so any input would be greatly appreciated. If it was covered before I apologize in advance.

I have never had it before, but it seems like a perfect paleo snack. I currently use 2 onces of Canadian bacon (or turkey slices), two macadamia nuts, and some berries as my 2 block zone/paleo snack.

Best,

Chris
I just made some. There are good reviews of this product on the Performance Menu boards. Go there, most on CF never heard of this product, nor would they eat it.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:

Thanks Jay!

Having some difficulties searching the PM board although I am registered .

I'll go through page by page til I find it.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:

Very first thread in the Paleo diet section.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:

I am a fan of the Grassland Beef Pemmican. I get the "no cherries, no honey" version. I couldn't taste any difference in the two so I went with less ingredients.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:

Thanks Andy,

Just about to order now. I was actually going for that one. I'm not a big fan of honey.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Leah Turner

Profile:

I checked out the Grassland website and am I correct that the bulk order of 84lbs (cherry w/ honey pemmican) would yield approx. 40 servings (each 3.2oz)?

Also, it says that there is a $25 discount for each 40lb increment of whatever ordered, and the bulk pemmicam is normally $126. So is that discount after the price or is that already included?

If anyone knows, thanks. I've thought about making my own pemmicam but always mess up such things, so I wouldn't mind buying some and getting rid of stupid protein bars.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Turner View Post
I checked out the Grassland website and am I correct that the bulk order of 84lbs (cherry w/ honey pemmican) would yield approx. 40 servings (each 3.2oz)?

Also, it says that there is a $25 discount for each 40lb increment of whatever ordered, and the bulk pemmicam is normally $126. So is that discount after the price or is that already included?

If anyone knows, thanks. I've thought about making my own pemmicam but always mess up such things, so I wouldn't mind buying some and getting rid of stupid protein bars.
Leah;
Suggest to try some first as it's an acquired taste, something like drinking Scotch. I made some, it's in my car trunk as emergency food. While I've never tried store bought and can practically eat anything, understand you're going to be eating bird suet with some berries tossed in. Don't tell your parents about this, nor your normal friends. Hunters, CF'rs, ex SOP's, no problem.
Again, beef fat with berries.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Leah Turner

Profile:

Yeah - good point Jay about trying some first. I thought about that but the minimum to order on that site is 7 lbs. Any idea what type of place I could go to find some to try???...like some type of hunting store or something?

I really hope I like it, or will attempt to make myself like it. It's the perfect protein bar substitute.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Search pemmican! There was a thread a while ago where someone (Kelly Moore, maybe?) had made it. Maybe it wasn't Kelly, but SOMEONE made it and posted some opinions on commercial pemmican(s).