CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
James Neuman

Profile:
narrowing down crossfit

I'm intrigued by crossfit and have been on the verge of starting for a while. But while I like the idea of variety, I also find it daunting.

Simply put, I'm afraid there are too many different routines for me to follow. What I really want, I suppose, is perhaps 10-20 different daily exercises that I could rotate on my own schedule.

So here's my question: is it possible to identify a finite group of exercises (listed at this website) that will provide the essential balance of Crossfit? Or would limiting myself in that manner undermine the point of the program?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Geoff Sallee

Profile:
Re: narrowing down crossfit

I think it would undermine the point of the program. It's not really as random as it's made out to be, and everything has its place. Obviously you can substitute different exercises, but if you narrowed it down too much it would cease to be CrossFit, methinks. I'll let others weigh in with their opinions.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Agreed. The variety and seemingly random nature of the program is what gives the CF'er the best GPP.

Now - if you wanted to narrow down 10-20 of your favorite WODs that you would be sharing with your friends just to give them a taste of the koolaid, I think that is a great idea!

Heck- that (narrowing down your favorites) might be hard to do!

Helen
Murph
Cindy
Fran
Diane
Elizabeth
CFT
Tabata this (or something else)
Linda
Fight Gone Bad

That is only 10 of the "named" WODs - there are countless others that don't even have names!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Steve Reggio

Profile:

If you took the time to learn and master 20 different exercises then you could do about 85% of all of the WOD's out there. If you really look, it is not an endless sea of exercises, it is a solid group of basics that are continuously reconfigured and varied by rep scheme, weight and order.

So in reality all you really need to learn is 20 exercises like you want, many you should already know, and you can do just about any WOD.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Josh Goguen

Profile:

From my understanding of CrossFit, it isn't just the variety exercises, but how you combine them. If you only did squats, sit-ups, push-ups, and run, you could come up with several CrossFit workouts that would yield decent results.

You aren't going to get the full benefit of CrossFit but it will give you an idea of whether you want to expand your repertoire of movements.

Also, the variety isn't that daunting. Most of the exercises are variations of others. A decent example would be Slamball, Wallball, and thrusters.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

If one is just starting, start scaled wod's, or brand x. You'll be surprised at how one can aquire a taste for the hard workouts. If you scale 'em, you can nail 'em. Give the kool aid a chance.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Jerry Berg

Profile:

simple answer...no.

if it's daunting try simplefit or brandx scaled WODs until it isn't as daunting.

but there are some workouts that will ALWAYS be daunting (heavy fran, linda) no matter how long you are crossfitting.

crossfit is about "forging elite fitness" not "forging kinda mediocre ok fitness"
Old 01-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
James Neuman

Profile:

When I said it was "daunting," I was not referring to the level of difficulty of each exercise, but simply to the prospect of learning what seems like countless different exercises AND then getting myself into the habit of checking here daily for WOD, scaling appropriately and possibly learning any substitutions that might become necessary for whatever reason.

To take just one example. I happened to look at the WOD for today (5K of rowing). Because I'm not an experienced rower, I checked out a video. Then I realized I have no idea how to measure 5K. Hoping to learn that, I read about half of the comments about that, and stopped before getting a clear answer. I saw some substitutions mentioned, and got diverted to reading about them. All along the way, I occasionally had to refer elsewhere in this site to understand abbreviations and terminology.

Now, I realize that many answers will be found in the FAQ and descriptions of the exercises. I'm also sure that many gaps in my knowledge will be filled quickly. But I'm a little concerned that - for the foreseeable future - I will have to do considerable reading on a daily basis, just to ensure that I'm on the right track. And that was why I asked whether it was possible to narrow down the program somewhat.

Based on the responses here, though, it appears that the variety and even the schedule is key. So I guess I have no choice but to read as much as I can, if I really want to commit to the program.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Neuman View Post
Based on the responses here, though, it appears that the variety and even the schedule is key. So I guess I have no choice but to read as much as I can, if I really want to commit to the program.
There's a learning curve to almost every worthwhile endeavor.

If you went to a Crossfit affiliate, you wouldn't have to read everything because you'd be getting instruction, but you'd have to spend the time driving to and from said affiliate, which would take perhaps as long as doing the necessary reading.

One of the things I really enjoy about Crossfit is that it does stimulate the brain cells as much as the muscle cells.

You can tell yourself you have "no choice but to read as much as you can" or you can tell yourself you choose to do the reading to become proficient in this worthwhile endeavor.

Which attitude do you think will get you better results?

Susie
Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
William Hunter

Profile:

James, I think I see where you're coming from. I agree with the other posters that you really should try the program as recommended for a few months to see where it takes you. You'll learn a lot, and I don't think you can achieve the same level of basic fitness with an abbreviated exercise selection. However...I'm actually currently working with a much smaller group of "CF approved movements" b/c I'm working in some specific trail running 1-2 x/week. I'm aware that my GPP may suffer a bit during this time period. I also have the benefit of having been around here for 3+ years, including long periods of time of following the main page WOD. I make sure certain movements are performed every week in addition to my trail stuff, but some of the fringe stuff I no longer perform regularly. All of this is subject to change every few months.

Have fun.