CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Allergic reaction to whey protein powder ingredients? artificial sweetener?

I've been drinking Zone smoothies for breakfast for months now with no problems whatsoever. Lately I changed brands of protein powder and suddenly my mouth seems to be having an allergic reaction, the insides of my lips swelling up almost to blistering.

I'm currently drinking the Six Star Professional Strength Whey Protein, which along with all the l-whatevers, lists:
OTHER INGREDIENTS: PROTEIN BLEND (WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE [PROVIDING DI-, TRI-, OLIGO-, AND POLYPEPTIDES], WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE [ION-EXCHANGED 97% PURITY], PARTIALLY HYDROLYZED WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME-POTASSIUM, SOY LECITHIN. CONTAINS MILK INGREDIENTS.

Before this I was drinking the NOW whey protein, which lists the following ingredients:
Ingredients: Whey Protein Blend [Micro-Filtered Whey Protein Concentrate (providing B-lactoglobulin, a-lactalbumin,Immunoglobulins and Serum Albumin), Ion-Exchanged Whey Protein Isolate (providing B-lactoglobulin, a-lactalbumin,Immunoglobulins and Glycomacro Peptides) and Enzymatically Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate], Fructose, Natural Flavor, Free-Form L-Glutamine, Xantham Gum and Stevia rebaudiana Herbal Extract. Contains milk derivatives.

At a glance and after some research, I think it is either the sucralose (Splenda) or the acesulfame-potassium that is probably causing this reaction. Aside from switching back to the brand of protein powder that doesn't have these ingredients, which I'll be doing immediately, is there a way to determine whether it's the sucralose or the acesulfame-potassium, short of lab tests?

I guess I could make myself a lab rat and buy little packets of each...one on my lip today, the other tomorrow, see which day my mouth swells inside out

I should add that this really surprised me as I was not aware of having ANY food allergies or intolerances whatsoever. I can eat dairy without issues and raw tomatoes without getting canker sores.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Allergic reaction to whey protein powder ingredients? artificial sweetener?

Two comments. There's a little phrase in all of them that says something about flavours but doesn't specify which ones. So that could be one issue.
The other could be contamination in the production process from nuts/seeds etc etc? Don't know if that's an issue but the reaction seems to be the start of an anaphylactic one - you're not allergic to nuts are you?

Have you tried searching or posting on any of the allergy websites - they have a ton of good information.

The other thing I always look for in everythng I buy is non GMO but that's mostly an issue with soy.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:

It could be any of the flavorings or artificial sweeteners.

IMO, the smartest thing you could do is stop eating synthetic additives (all of those above).

Oh yeah, ditch the whey too.

Just because you don't have an outright obvious reaction doesn't mean that bad things aren't happening inside. I know very few people who outright react to sugar, it doesn't mean that sugar is "OK" for them!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
David Wallach

Profile:

Above all else, when it comes to protein supplementation issues like g.i. distress: crack some eggs! Cheapest protein source on the planet is bulk frozen pasturized egg whites, going organic raises the cheque, but still affords you some piece of mind and a great source for added pro,

cheers,

chef

Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Aileen,
I don't think it's a nut allergy. I've eaten nuts all my life and at other meals since the reaction first occured with no problems. But I'll watch out for that.

One reason I lean towards blaming the artificial sweeteners is that I've never eaten much artificial sweeteners - if I'm going for something sweet and bad for me, I'll go the full-calorie version, thank you very much!

Garrett,
Would you say that egg white protein would be okay for replacing the whey protein? I've gone long periods eating very little dairy and periods where I ate more dairy, with no noticeable differences.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Aileen Reid

Profile:

The only comments about the sweetener I could find on the net were from people who are allergic to sulfa drugs - they seemed to get a similar and sometimes violent reaction to it.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

The container should have an allergy notification, i.e. "Contains x, y, and z." This may not cover everything that you could be allergic to (you can be allergic to almost anything), but it will mention the major bases.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Aileen,
The most nutritious part of the egg is the yolk, it's a shame to waste all that for just egg white powder. I use several raw eggs in combination with the liver/thymus/adrenal dessicated glandular powders from WFS www.leviticus11.com.

Either way, eggs & their protein are Paleo, whey & casein are not.

My reactions to dairy are mild (mostly I get a bit snotty/stuffy). I still don't think dairy (especially highly processed dairy like whey) is good for people. There's no shortage of data to back that assertion up. Anyone who practices decent nutritional medicine will remove dairy from the diet immediately when people present with disease, especially anything respiratory.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

Have you ever tried stevia as a sweetner? Its a natural herbal sweetner...nothing artificial about it.

I had major digestive problems with artificial sweetners...switched to stevia and no problems since.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Could you point us towards some of that data, Garrett?