CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Charles Bergeron

Profile:  
I'm a huge MMA fan, and unlike most American MMA fans my favorite venue is PRIDE. For those of you who know PRIDE or Pancrase you maybe familiar with one of the greatest fighters (in my opinion) of all time- Bas Rutten. He will be making a comeback fight at the end of July with the WFA against Kimo.
I'm usually dissapointed with fighters comeback fights, especially when I really respect the fighters, but generally they are lack luster and should stay retired. For example Mark Kerr (for those who don't know what The Smashing Machine). I hope Bas proves me wrong because he is one of my all time favorites in and out of the ring. This is almost a dream come true for me.
As far as Kimo goes I don't think he has a chance if Bas is the same fighter he was when he retired (won last 22 straight fights). That being said if he is the same fighter then he should quickly move up the ranks- although he is in a different organization than the UFC so it'll be awhile for him to fight othe rotables. Although the WFA is getting some good fighters in there re-opening- like Quentin Jackson a former PRIDE and UFC fighter who crushed Lidell in '03.

Anyways I'm off topic. I just hope Bas doesn't dissapoint and it's a great fight, and event for the WFA.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Matt Munson

Profile:
Bas is awesome!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
one of the greatest fighters (in my opinion) of all time- Bas Rutten

I don't think many give much credibility to slap fighting in Pancrase. I know he had 2 UFC fights and one of them should have been a loss. Randlemen dominated him throughout that fight.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
I am going to that card...which by the way looks a lot better then the ufc cards have recently.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Charles Bergeron

Profile:  
I'm not sure if that was a sting against Pancrase or not but when you can drop opponenets consistently with a palm strike than you've got some serious power.
Granted most of his MMA fights were not in the higher venues (UFC, he never fought in PRIDE) but he has a huge MMA training background and a great Muay Thai career. K1 breeds a lot of great fighters. I just like his overall attitude towards the sport. I also believe that Muay Thai fighters (in general) that go from Muay Thai to grappling have a greater purpensity(sp) to win than fighters that go from grappling to stand up- against the current fighters.
Look at Mark Hunt he's a great K1 fighter who has done well in MMA by learning just enough ground game not to get beat.

Mark Hunt's first fight in MMA was against Silva and he won it's one of my favorites of all time. To give Silva credit Mark Hunt is in a different weight class.

Either way may the best fighter win.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
There is not a heavyweight in the UFC that could step into the pride ring, Maybe one and he is fighting tonight and i do not mean silva.I think pride has some better fighters but over all I will take the UFC.I hate comebacks. If you retire, stay retired.

Michael
Maguilla BJJ
delaware grapplers
Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I wouldn't diminish Rutten's striking by calling it 'slap fighting' in Pancrase. He adapted his striking very well to their rules and really punished some guys with those palm strikes. Plus you were allowed to strike with a closed fist to the body - it was only the face/head that you couldn't strike with a closed fist. Watch the Jason DeLucia fight and see how many times he got dropped by Rutten's liver shot.

Bas has been training really hard for this fight and with a good group of guys. If anything he should in theory have a larger arsenal of techniques than when he retired - it's not like he dropped out of the fight game, he's seen how it's evolved, has been training fighters, etc.

Kimo will gas quickly and Bas will beat him up.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Charles Bergeron

Profile:  
Well I'm not discrediting the UFC because I think they have some great fighters, I just think they aren't at the level of the PRIDE fighters yet. A lot of them have potential. I think it's more than HW though. Wanderlei Silva fights as a middle weight/ light heavy weight and I don't think rich franklin or Chuck Lidell would beat him. The only Champion from the UFC that I think could top a PRIDE champion would be Matt Hughes against Takanori Gomi and they are in different weight divisions although around the same weight.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Nice comeback. BTW, Chuck will beat Silva. By now you should know to listen to me when it comes to these fights. I'm batting 1000 around here.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:01 AM   #10
Tom Needham

Profile:
Kimo failed the drug test and is out of the fight. He also failed the drug test a few years ago when he fought Ken (post fight test). What a loser. Bad choice for the WFA to get this show off on the right foot.