CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #91
Ryan Earle

Profile:
Re: Defranco on Crossfit for Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
CrossFit style workouts.

No strength coach in their right mind would even think of using main page.
FL. Marlins and some Olympic Figure skaters did/do.

Marlins article: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/03/...o-crossfit.tpl (worksafe)

Figure Skaters article: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/02/...-thrusters.tpl (worksafe)

University of Cali Baseball: http://journal.crossfit.com/2007/02/...l-fall-con.tpl (worksafe)

University of Cali Women Basketball: http://journal.crossfit.com/2007/03/...basketball.tpl (worksafe)

Last edited by Ryan Earle : 08-10-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #92
Zach Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
No, that's not the claim being debated. The claim is whether (or not) Crossfit is a good strength and conditioning program for elite athletes, or whether elite athletes need more specific programming.

Katherine
The thread has become extremely convoluted at this point but I was under the impression that it was being debated as to whether or not crossfit was suitable as a supplemental training program for pro athletes (which I think it is).

Last edited by Zach Reed : 08-10-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #93
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Earle View Post
FL. Marlins and some Olympic Figure skaters did/do.

Marlins article: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/03/...o-crossfit.tpl
Thanks for the article, it was really insightful.

So we got 1 professional sports team that regularly uses/used CF. Any others?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #94
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the article, it was really insightful.

So we got 1 professional sports team that regularly uses/used CF. Any others?
Why does that matter? As far as I know, nearly all pro athletes are released to do their own thing in the off-season before camp starts. Since I, at least, am talking about CrossFit being used only as an off-season GPP program, the number of pro teams using CrossFit isn't very relevant to this discussion, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I heard the Indy Colts once did Fran. Never heard any numbers though.....
LMAO. Funny stuff!

Quote:
No, that's not the claim being debated. The claim is whether (or not) Crossfit is a good strength and conditioning program for elite athletes, or whether elite athletes need more specific programming.

Katherine
Speaking only for myself, that's not what's being discussed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Alex, at what point is it no longer CrossFit tho? If you start to program with a plan in mind, periodizing it, shifting the focus to speed and power... sounds like a regular GPP/S&C program.

You can't say everything is CF just because it uses similar movements and high perceived intensity/hard work...

For the sake of debate, CF has to remain the constantly varied, functional movements, high intensity type CF, which is what most are saying would not be as beneficial to upper echelon athletes as the former.
Show me one other program that doesnt have its roots in CrossFit that uses muscle-ups, ring dips, HSPUs, thrusters, kb swings, etc.. in circuits for time. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
This made my day.
Because you agree or disagree?

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 08-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #95
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

How well have the FL Marlins done in baseball recently?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #96
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
CrossFit style workouts.
As I said in my very first post of this thread - "strength biased crossfit style workout" can encompass just about every training program in the world.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #97
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Why does that matter? As far as I know, nearly all pro athletes are released to do their own thing in the off-season before camp starts. Since I, at least, am talking about CrossFit being used only as an off-season GPP program, the number of pro teams using CrossFit isn't very relevant to this discussion, IMO.
OK. Name me professional athletes that use CF in off season, apart from Moreno.

Why does it matter? If professional sports teams don't use CF, why do you think they don't?

CF is not suitable for professional athletes because CF is a GPP programme. Not a SPP programme.

Take a professional rugby team here in England, the conditioning they do is specific. They run. Every week they do 3x10x100m on the minute with 2 minutes between sets. The catch being the whole group has to do extra runs if any of the players run a 100 above 16s. This is specific. Is Fran specific? No.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #98
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
As I said in my very first post of this thread - "strength biased crossfit style workout" can encompass just about every training program in the world.
What does that mean? Strength followed by CF style conditioning in one session? If so, then show me the programmes.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #99
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine

That's not really what I am debating. The issue I am debating is whether sport specific training is so specific that is has no application to other sports.

I am saying it is not that specific. In fact, I am saying training for all mainstream sports is virtually identical. The difference stem from the demands the sports places on an individual and the individual athletes characteristics not the actual sport.

What Mr. Boyle is saying is that basketball training and football training are foreign to each other. I disagree.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #100
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
That's not really what I am debating. The issue I am debating is whether sport specific training is so specific that is has no application to other sports.

I am saying it is not that specific. In fact, I am saying training for all mainstream sports is virtually identical. The difference stem from the demands the sports places on an individual and the individual athletes characteristics not the actual sport.

What Mr. Boyle is saying is that basketball training and football training are foreign to each other. I disagree.
So a decent football player should be able to play basketball to a good standard then?