CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #151
Mark Ritchie

Profile:
Re: CrossFit - Reekbok Apparel...

Well, in the sort of timing that my daughter would describe as "spooky" I got an email from the general manager of Reebok Thailand.

Asking what can he do to help us promote our gym, now that Reebok and CrossFit are affiliated, and we're the only CrossFit gym in Thailand. Anything he can do to help us grow our business.

In another thread we've talked about some ideas (promotions, etc.), and I'm going to ask about Reebok Thailand doing some shirts and other technical clothing for us. So we'll see. We already have a killer logo (a garuda swinging a kettlebell), but it's just on cotton t-shirts (photo of our women's shirt attached).

Back on topic, the crazy thing is in the professional outdoor industry the prices are lower. We have pro-deals with a lot of companies that let my instructors purchase top quality high end clothing and gear for a huge discount. They should be pricing the CF clothing LOWER than other offerings they have to get their logo and name out there, and spread awareness. If they really were interested in using the CF Reebok clothing for marketing they'd price it as low as possible. That makes me wonder who at Reebok is setting the prices...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7573.JPG
Views:	754
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	8191  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #152
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
We ventured down this road once before with "Sonz" and the dust and fallout is still settling. In the past six months a flurry of well-heeled folks from a dozen industries have approached us wanting to get hold of the CrossFit name to brand T-shirts, tennis shoes, watches, bumber plates, training and business services, coaching, seminars, online testing, toddler day care, and supplements. Our answer is always the same, a respectful, polite: "No thank you".
I guess the answer has changed. Sigh...

- Alex
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #153
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
We already have a killer logo (a garuda swinging a kettlebell), but it's just on cotton t-shirts (photo of our women's shirt attached).
You have one of the coolest logo's out there for your shirts and business. Congrats, you ought to try some way to sell them over here. I would actually pick one up and I'm not usually cf shirt person.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #154
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
You have one of the coolest logo's out there for your shirts and business. Congrats, you ought to try some way to sell them over here. I would actually pick one up and I'm not usually cf shirt person.
I agree! +1
Old 08-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #155
Ian Girvan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
I guess the answer has changed. Sigh...

- Alex

What sucks is that the only major corporation he did sell to, doesn't really promote CrossFit, as much as their own business.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #156
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Thanks for the comments on the logo! We're in the process of getting them available online, so check out our website to see about how to get them -- probably within the next month.

We also think the logo would make a sweet tattoo, but no one has done that yet...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #157
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Reebok can say all that they want about supporting the community, but throwing $250k at the Games winner and making some clothing with snazzy phrases is NOT support...it's just marketing. In my opinion, they are taking CrossFit (and more importantly, CrossFitters) for a ride. Nothing we can do about it other than let our wallets do the talking.
That is all it is for Reebok. The only stake they have with Crossfit is financial. Unless the company is ran by complete idiots the reason they did this deal is because in the long run they saw it as a way to increase the bottom line. All the stuff about supporting the community is just typical marketing lines.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #158
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
Stu, better sniff some of that ammonia, and maybe some coffee, yourself.

CF isn't setting the store prices; Reebok is, and, if the stuff doesn't sell, I'll bet they alter them.
My mistake, but in the CF gear vid where they talk about the shirts and gear and store etc, it was implied that Reebok was just doing the shirts, but the store was still CFHQ's and Rebok just supported it. This would lead one to believe that CFHQ has input on pricing. I doubt Glassman would allow the CF/Reebok relationship to be so one sided that Reebok alone would set pricing. Especially because it is still the CF site, just being supported by Reebok...you'd think CF would have say on pricing??

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #159
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
All the stuff about supporting the community is just typical marketing lines.
I'm sure Reebok would be the first to tell you that making a profit at the end of the day is their main objective as it is for any for-profit company.

However, based on my personal experience alone, I am sure that Reebok is not only looking to make a profit with their involvement with CrossFit but genuinely interested in the community and doing their part to make it better.

This past May, they quietly supported Steve's Club National Program by running the Beat the Streets fundraiser workout event at their gym Reebok One encouraging all of their employees (including the higher ups) to take part in the event and contribute to the cause. They did this quietly expecting nothing in return other than offering a way to support our program using their resources.

Although this is just one small story, all the people I met at Reebok I can tell you that they are genuinely involved in the community and care enough to want to use their resources to help make CrossFit bigger and better to reach more people.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #160
Alex Europa

Profile:

Steve,

Thanks for your input, I truly appreciate it. It is good to hear that Reebok IS doing stuff other than just trying to make a buck. I suppose I should be more fair in my judgement of them, they are still fresh into the scene, it could just take them awhile to start making waves.

While I completely disagree with the pricing structure of their CF gear (has anyone found ANY other Reebok hoodie for $135 online?), and I personally feel that they could do way more to promote CF, it's good to know that they are getting out there. My concern (and skeptism) revolve around the fact that it sounds like the vast majority of the support is coming from the "foot soldiers," but not the brass, so we'll see plenty of events like the one you mentioned, however expecting to see mention of the "Fittest Man/Woman on Earth" on Reebok.com after the conclusion of the Games or a shoutout to the "Fittest Man on Earth" in the Reebok Reflex commercials, is unlikely to ever happen.

I still feel that, as a company, Reebok is taking CrossFitters for a ride, but it's good to know that there are people on the inside who seem to genuinely care about the community.

- Alex