CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Greg Davis

Profile:
I've been aiming for sat,mono,poly fat ratios of roughly 1:1:1, and I thought I remember this as an ideal ratio but thinking back I can't remember where I referenced this opinion. Any know of any paleo-minded sources that discusses the ideal ratios for consumption of the 3 types of fat?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Greg Davis

Profile:
I found a possible answer on Loren Cordain's site, http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Fats:

"Now let’s get back to the fat content of our ancestral hunter-gatherer diet. They frequently ate more fats than we do, but they were almost invariably healthy fats. Using computerized dietary analyses of the wild plant and animal foods, our research team has shown that the usual fat breakdown in hunter-gatherer diets was 55-65% monounsaturated fat, 20-25% polyunsaturated fat (with an omega-6:omega-3 ratio of 2:1), 10-15% saturated fat (with about half being the neutral stearic acid). This balance of fats is exactly what you will be getting when you follow our dietary recommendations."
Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Greg Davis

Profile:
I think I remember where I heard the 1:1:1, it was from John Berardi recommending 33/33/33 split among the 3 types of fat. If you are eating high fat that is quite a difference from Corain's recomendations.