CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
yet another shoulder question

I have been practicing handstands off and on for a while now. Not much work on handstand pushups. Thursday night I did a short workout in the kids aread during my daughters gymnastics class: 6 rounds of 5 HSPU, 5 l-pullups, and 5 l-chinups. Did not think much of it at the time. Next day though, my right shoulder was hurting. It has improved some, but is still tender. It is just in certain positions, such as straight overhead, or straight out in front as if you are punching.

FYI, if it helps. During WODs, high volume pushups are a limiting factor. It starts to hurt my front deltoids. This may just be me using my delts more than my chest. May be unrelated to current problem.

Also sleep mostly sleep on my back, but with my left hand behind my head, and my right forearm over my eyes. A little restless with the arm the last couple of nights. Trying to keep right arm down really hard to break the habit. Sleeping on sides not that comfortable, especially on my right side. Sleeping on stomach, wanted arms under pillow/head. That hurt the right shoulder too.

I missed a local CF clean and jerk clinic yesterday. I'm signed up for the cert next weekend in Dallas. Any help and advice to clear this up is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: yet another shoulder question

Don't sleep on your stomach. Just on your back.

As for the shoulder.. besides those position what's better is you can tell me what exercises hurt it besides pushups. And it's only pushups at high reps? So the first X number of pushups don't hurt it?

Also, if you can pinpoint where it hurts (wfs)
http://www.sports-injury-info.com/im...er-muscles.jpg
http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/image.gif

Initially, just sounds like you irritated something in there and the swelling is pressing against nerves causing pain. Rest and massage (as well as ice to limit swelling) should conceivable fix it...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Sorry, forgot to pinpoint where it hurts.

The pushups may or may not be a separate issue. That pain is at the edge of the chest, possibly just the front deltoid area. I am not having that now.

The current pain came from the handstand pushups. It seems to be inside the shoulder near the top of the deltoid. The point is about a half inch down from the top of the shoulder joint, about halfway between the front and side of the deltoid. Not sure if this is accurate, but I think of the shoulder as having three deltoids. This seems to be between the front and side parts. It's hard to describe, I hope this helps. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

So only HSPUs hurt?

If you can download that picture (right click, save as) and then open it in like paint and highly the area in red... then reupload it.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Handstand pushups are how I hurt it. High volume pushups produce a different response. Holding my arm out in front of me (parallel to floor) hurts the shoulder now. Pressing my arm overhead hurts it as well.

If I extend my arm down by my side and start raising it to parallel and then overhead, it starts with no pain, starts hurting at just below parallel, and gets worse on way higher. If I have my hand at shoulder like for dumbell oh press, and start extending hand up, it starts hurting about halfway up and gets worse the further I press up. Not sure how to upload the pic yet. Posting this for now...
Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds like something is impinging.

Can you do abduction (start with your arm at your side and then lift it up to shoulder height and the to overhead as it's out to the side)?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

There is mild discomfort at shoulder level and overhead, but nothing like with the same motion in front, or pressing straight overhead.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Have you tried probing with your fingers at the point(s) of pain?

It will probably get better with rest. Don't aggravate it any and see if it heals.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

I really hated to do it, but I think rest was the major thing to heal my shoulder. I did get a deep tissue massage on Monday, day 4 of the injury. I think that helped quite a bit too. Today, day 7, I would say I am about 98%. I only get mild discomfort with my hand straight overhead and pressing with active shoulders. Woohoo. Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions.