CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
Craig Harrah

Profile:
Unhappy Insomnia

I'm not sleeping. I've been crossfiting and zoneing (eyeballing) for about a month now and I'm getting great results. Starting about two weeks ago my sleep got funny and I felt restless at night so I completely eliminated caffeine thinking that would help me. That bought me about two days of really good sleep. Now it has returned. I have a tough time falling asleep and if I wake up I can't get back to sleep. I'm down to about four hours of sleep a night and it is wearing me down and affecting my WOD performance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Insomnia

If your performance started dropping before you got the insomnia you might have a case of pretty far overreaching (which would segue into overtraining). One of the symptoms is indeed insomnia along with soreness, aches and pains, decreased performance, etc. Since you're relatively new this would be my first guess. Take a couple of days off and let your body recover and see if it goes away (you're due for a half intensity week/rest week anyway after about 5-6 weeks).
Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Jean Carmona

Profile:

It's the other way for me, since I have started CF I sleep like a log. Prior to that my sleep was cut off 2 to 4 times a night, and also I was having funny dreams (kind of nightmarish). But now go to bed, fall asleep and wake up the next morning and feel good.
jc
Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Matthew J Tortoriello

Profile:

The main causes of insomnia are:

-Psychological Factors

-Lifestyle Factors

-Environmental Factors

-Psychiatric/Physical Illness

Are you having more stress from work or any other part of your life?

If you have insurance, I would recommend that you see your general practitioner. They can might you diagnose the problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I would say you are overtraining...I know I am!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
Craig Harrah

Profile:

Thanks for everybody's input. I'm thinking I'm not getting enough carbs and that has hurt my recovery and, in turn, has led to some overtraining. I really loaded up on pasta last night (in an effort to spike my system) and slept better. My pulse this morning was down from mid-60's to 54. I'm still going to take some time off and up my carbs and then ease back into things. I just avoided any unfavorable carbs to the point where I think I shortchanged myself, and with the weight loss I've had I just kept pushing.

Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hi mate,

there was a thread on this issue only very recently. Alot of the people posting on it seemed to have personal knowledge and were also quite clued up on remedies, sadly I can't remember where the darned thread was but a search might turn it up and it would be well worth you investigating...

I have had insomnia a couple of times in my life but it was always at times of intense personal turmoil, it went away when things in my life returned to a semblance of normality.

Oh yeah, and I had enforced insomnia when I had my first kid
Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
Andrew Craig

Profile:

I used to suffer very bad with insomnia. I have started using a breathing technique before going to sleep which simulates your breathing pattern while asleep. While lying in bed breath in through your left nostral to the count of 4, hold it for the count of 2, breath out to the count of 4 through the right nostral and hold for a count of 2. Repeat 10-15 times. It relaxes you no end and I have been sleeping through for the last 2 weeks solid. I know it sounds a little unorthodox and I was a little sceptical at first but it works for me. Worth a go i reckon.

P.s. if your left nostral is slightly blocked switch round. It is far easier and less scary breathing out through a blocked nostral - believe me.