CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
Mike Hollister

Profile:
Re: Got to play with a Rogue Olympic WL bar today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
It was mentioned in the video that the newer bar had a different sleeve construction, which allowed it to spin better.

I personally prefer a sharper knurling. The only thing I dislike about the Klokov bar that I have is the soft knurling. By the look of this review, the Klokov bar is comparable to the Rogue bar, but significantly less expensive.
Yeah I'm very interested in that Klokov bar. It's at a price point where gyms can buy multiples.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
John Burgeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
By the look of this review, the Klokov bar is comparable to the Rogue bar, but significantly less expensive.
What is it about the review that makes you think that the Klokov is comparable to the Rogue WL bar? You mentioned that you have the Klokov, do you also have a Rogue WL bar?

I ask you this because my impression of the review was that the Rogue WL is a fairly comparable bar to the Eleiko Sport, so to say the Klokov is a comparable bar to the Rogue WL is much like saying that the Klokov is a comparable bar to the Eleiko Sport. So that makes me curious.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

I have a klokov bar now, and I really like it. There was issues with the first bar I received, probably a mix of some damage from shipping, and also some inconsistencies with manufacturing, but it performed perfectly and I really liked it so I knew if I got a replacement without the issues it would be perfect.

I received the new bar today and side by side, the new one is much more shiny, polished chrome. The new bar has very shiny knurl rings too unlike the other bar. Also, the center knurl is more passive on the new bar but the outer knurling is actually a bit more aggressive than the first bar, and it feels great. It has a nice bite with some chalk too. Also, the spin is noticeably smoother on the new one, not that the old one wasn't fine for weightlifting.

I think I may have just gotten unlucky with the first bar I received, but if all other klokov bars are like my new one, then this bar is amazing for the price. It looks and feels super premium, and performs great. I would have no problem paying $500 shipped for this bar, it would still be a good value at that price in my opinion, especially since the DHS bar is up to $600 BEFORE shipping, and the rogue oly bar is $635 before tax for the chrome center knurl bar.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
John Burgeson

Profile:

It sounds like the version I have is like what you describe for your first bar. The hash marks are scratchy, the chrome isn't exactly shiny, and as you mentioned, the spin is adequate, but not exactly remarkable. I'm going to assume they used feedback and issues to make some minor changes to the next batch.

I actually find the knurl to be one of the highlights as it is, but if it's improved, well that's cool too.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Struan Potter

Profile:

I did the spin test that Nat used in the above video on my Klokov bar today. It spinned longer and more free than the Eleiko. I should have got video, it's remarkable how well it spins.

I do not have a Rogue WL bar, and don't have a need to get one. The Klokov bar is a fantastic bar. How long it lasts remains to be seen, but it is a high quality bar that I would happily pay upwards of 600 for.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
Dennis Nelen

Profile:

Watched the video, ran and did the spin test on my rogue oly bar and it spins like the american steel one in the video. Does this mean my bar is defective? I received the bar as a gift from my wife for my birthday and it is by far the best bar I've ever used. I will admit that my exposure to barbells has been limited to a few rogue barbells (rogue, Ohio, operator and chan) and both the bushing and nb Pendlay bars.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
Cory House

Profile:

Thought I'd throw in how my Rep Fitness Bearing bar did on the same test. The spin was as good if not better than the Eleiko and EU Rogue bar in the video. With that said here is my latest review that I just submitted for review on Rep's website.

I have been using this bar consistently for several months at home. I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to growing in weightlifting for many years with this bar.

Pros:
Great Spin (compares to much higher end bars)
Nice Knurl (somewhat passive, but grips well, and keeps hands in good shape for training)
Price (very competitive for what you are getting

Cons:
Smooth sleeves (Great for loading and unloading, but plates adjust a lot between lifts even when using lockjaw collars, they also got beat up with small scuffs/dents much quicker than other bars I have used)
Dual Markings (Could be a pro to many, not really a big deal but I bought it as a weightlifting bar and would prefer just one set of markings)
End Caps (Sticker on one side fell off after less than 10 uses, Rep happily sent me new stickers but they don't seem to hold too well)

Overall, my pros are all about performance which is what really matters. The cons are generally cosmetic which are not the most important thing but they make a small difference to me.

I would buy this bar again at this price.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory House View Post
Thought I'd throw in how my Rep Fitness Bearing bar did on the same test. The spin was as good if not better than the Eleiko and EU Rogue bar in the video. With that said here is my latest review that I just submitted for review on Rep's website.

I have been using this bar consistently for several months at home. I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to growing in weightlifting for many years with this bar.

Pros:
Great Spin (compares to much higher end bars)
Nice Knurl (somewhat passive, but grips well, and keeps hands in good shape for training)
Price (very competitive for what you are getting

Cons:
Smooth sleeves (Great for loading and unloading, but plates adjust a lot between lifts even when using lockjaw collars, they also got beat up with small scuffs/dents much quicker than other bars I have used)
Dual Markings (Could be a pro to many, not really a big deal but I bought it as a weightlifting bar and would prefer just one set of markings)
End Caps (Sticker on one side fell off after less than 10 uses, Rep happily sent me new stickers but they don't seem to hold too well)

Overall, my pros are all about performance which is what really matters. The cons are generally cosmetic which are not the most important thing but they make a small difference to me.

I would buy this bar again at this price.
I was considering this bar for a while because I have the bushing version and really like it, but I just wanted chrome and center knurl. It's good to hear that it's a nice bar though.

I'm also not a fan of the dual marking on the rep bearing bar and the klokov, since they are weightlifting bars, but it's not like it does anything
Old 01-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Daggon View Post
I was considering this bar for a while because I have the bushing version and really like it, but I just wanted chrome and center knurl. It's good to hear that it's a nice bar though.

I'm also not a fan of the dual marking on the rep bearing bar and the klokov, since they are weightlifting bars, but it's not like it does anything
I've always thought of those bars as high end mixed use bars, not as pure Oly bars.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
I've always thought of those bars as high end mixed use bars, not as pure Oly bars.
I'd compare my klokov bar in pure weightlifting to the DHS training bar that I use once a week, I feel like it stacks up very nicely. I'd also use either of them in a metcon if need be.