CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Adam Muir

Profile:
Looking to buy an Olympic BB

I am looking to buy a barbell that is a bit better than just the standard Rogue Barbell. Im trying to decided between the following:
1. Rouge Oly bar
2. Fringe Chad Vaughn Bar
3. Rouge Oly Training Bar
4. AF Klokov Bar
5. Get RxD Stealth bar
6. Fringe Sports Wonder Bar Olympic Bearing Bar

they are listed in order of most expensive to least, and I was wondering if I could get some input/knowledge on each of the bars? the Fringe BB is only $200, and according to the video has amazing spin, but I'm scared that the oxidized finish will rust here in FL and the max weight is only 700#. Also with the Chad Vaughn bar only being $400 I'm curious to know the difference (and how the spin is on that since it is a bushing bar?

I haven't heard much about get rxd, how are their products/bars, will they bend over time?

Has anyone used the Rouge Training Bar? I'm wondering how the spin and knurl are? Im curious to see how the bushings do?

Last edited by Adam Muir : 12-27-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
John Burgeson

Profile:
Re: Looking to buy an Olympic BB

The Rogue 28 mm Training Bar is the Rogue Oly shaft, but Ohio-style sleeve assembly. Expect sleeve rotation to be on par with most Rogue bushing bars. People clean and snatch on Rogue bushing bars all day long, so don't automatically assume you have to spring for bearings. If you put up big numbers, then ya, go for some bearings.

If you're trying to do better than the Rogue Bar, the last couple bars shouldn't be on your list probably. The Wonder is an intro bar, and I've never heard anything about the Rx. Klokov is good, and Vaughn is quite nice... did you consider Vulcan?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Adam Muir

Profile:

I have not looked at Vulcan yet, I will look them up for sure. I am putting up about 220# on my snatch and upwards of 275# on my C&J on a good day lol, I have a Rogue Bar 1.0, and have heard bearings will make things easier on my wrist and turn over speed. Is this the case or am I just buying into the gimmicks of the market?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Muir View Post
I have not looked at Vulcan yet, I will look them up for sure. I am putting up about 220# on my snatch and upwards of 275# on my C&J on a good day lol, I have a Rogue Bar 1.0, and have heard bearings will make things easier on my wrist and turn over speed. Is this the case or am I just buying into the gimmicks of the market?
Nah, I'd say you're at a level where you would see some benefit from a good bar. I have a rogue oly and I love it. Unless scratch is really an issue, I would just go w/ the top of your list. What's $100 if you are missing lifts and doubting yourself b/c of the barbell and having regrets? Just get one. Nuf said.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
John Burgeson

Profile:

At those weights, Mike makes a valid point. Drop $600 and never look back. Rogue Oly, Vulcan professional, DHS trainer. Just get it over with so you're not doing this all over again in a year.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Adam Muir

Profile:

thanks for the advice guys I will defiantly look into those bars, Im stocking my gym with all Rogue so I will probably just stick with the Rogue Oly then.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Greg Light

Profile:

I have a pendlay bearing bar and really like (5 years with it now) and am completely satisfied with it for $550, but my buddy picked up the DHS training bar for $375 or so and I actually prefer it to mine by quite a wide margin. Great deal on that thing!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:02 AM   #8
Struan Potter

Profile:

Klokov bar is the best value bar for lifting.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Adam Muir

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
I have a pendlay bearing bar and really like (5 years with it now) and am completely satisfied with it for $550, but my buddy picked up the DHS training bar for $375 or so and I actually prefer it to mine by quite a wide margin. Great deal on that thing!
do you know where your friend got a DHS bar for so little? was it a sale or did they buy it used?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I paid that much for mine as well. Mine was slightly blemished (chrome on one of the collars). Picked it up locally from Todd in Tacoma, WA.