CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #41
Greg Spaight

Profile:
Re: CrossFit is not a sport

10,000 boxes. Somewhere between $1000 and $3000 per year for affiliation. They might could afford some accommodations, meals, flights, etc. just saying. You have thousandaires working for a multimillionaire for free. It's a good business model for sure.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #42
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

"Just saying"--someone already went through all the numbers and showed how much it would cost to pay judges for every regional. It's not cheap. Plus then CFHQ would have to consider them to be employees for tax and accounting purposes, which would create more hassles for both CF and the individual judges.

And there's no guarantee that will move the needle on judging quality, unless you know of a bunch of people who can quit their day jobs for an entire month to attend every regional as professional judges.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #43
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
"Just saying"--someone already went through all the numbers and showed how much it would cost to pay judges for every regional. It's not cheap. Plus then CFHQ would have to consider them to be employees for tax and accounting purposes, which would create more hassles for both CF and the individual judges.

And there's no guarantee that will move the needle on judging quality, unless you know of a bunch of people who can quit their day jobs for an entire month to attend every regional as professional judges.
So the excuse is that it cost money and would be a hassle because of tax and accounting purposes? That is kind of the cost of doing business. Running a big business has its costs, Crossfit is turning into a pretty big business so I don't see how that is a valid reason behind not covering the costs that someone has to pay themselves to be a judge.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #44
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

Yeah, I saw that. If you provide someone transportation, meals and accommodations they aren't necessarily an employee...and that's a cost of doing biz that can be written off.

Take the "$10k per year per professional judge" out of the math equation and CF HQ would be ok I think...

But hey, any for profit biz that can get people to work for free would be crazy not to do it for as long as they can get away with it. Like I said, it's an ingenious business model.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #45
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

They don't need to be treated as employees at all. They would be independent contractors and given a 1099 and I believe HQ could deduct the compensation paid to them.

Way I see it, its a relatively new sport. Are there some bad calls, yes, but with all new sports there are kinks to work out. I think the system will continue to improve each year, but bad calls will always be made like with every sport that is "judged" by another person.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #46
Adam Clark

Profile:

Judges should be crossfitters. the judges and volunteers should come from boxes in the reagion. the SoCal regionals had more spectators in better condition then the judges. Judging the movements should be from folks who have been judged on those same or similar movements.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #47
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Many of the volunteers and judges are often those in CF boxes who are not competitive CFers. Not everyone can be Rich Froning and Sam Briggs.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #48
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Clark View Post
Judges should be crossfitters. the judges and volunteers should come from boxes in the reagion. the SoCal regionals had more spectators in better condition then the judges. Judging the movements should be from folks who have been judged on those same or similar movements.
most of the judges in Mid-Atlantic own their own gyms, or have been trainers in CF affiliates for many years - or both.

are you suggesting that if you don't look as fit as the people that you're judging, that you're somehow unfit to judge them?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #49
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
.....are you suggesting that if you don't look as fit as the people that you're judging, that you're somehow unfit to judge them?
I agree, its not like NFL refs are all built like the tank/humans they officiate over.....Ed Hochuli not withstanding.