CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Re: Looking to get started with Crossfit

Welcome Michael,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dennis View Post
Thanks guys, I checked some websites. This is going to set me back $150+ a month if I do it. That's a lot of scratch and a lot more than I thought I'd have to come up with. I can do it but I've been making a lot of strides to improve my financial life as well. So it's going to be a tough decision.
How much is your health worth to you? You seem ready for a change and what you are doing is not working. I suggest you take this approach:

1) Go check out the CrossFit boxes in your area (close to home or work - the ones that you would likely go to based on your schedule). Look at their websites, talk with the owners, watch a class. (Search on the message boards here for other pointers on how to evaluate a box).
2) Take the money you would have spent on the two year 24hr fitness membership and pay for as much CrossFit as you can get at the box you choose. You should get at least 3-6 months. And there might be further pre-paid discounts.
3) Jump in with both feet. See how you feel after 3-6 months and if it was worth it. (I bet you it will be if you put in the work).

Good luck!!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Rudy Razo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dennis View Post
Thanks guys, I checked some websites. This is going to set me back $150+ a month if I do it. That's a lot of scratch and a lot more than I thought I'd have to come up with. I can do it but I've been making a lot of strides to improve my financial life as well. So it's going to be a tough decision.
I was thinking the exact same thing when I started. I said lets try it for a month and see how it goes. Most boxes are a month to month payment so if you don't think CrossFit is for you then you are not stuck in a 2 year contract type of deal. I made a few sacrifices (cutting cable channels, eating out less on weekends, etc.) to save money. Good luck and hopefully you enjoy it!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I was worried about the cost before I started too, but now that I'm 10 months in, I would pay double if I had to. It is awesome and I love it.

You seem ready for a change, so don't let the money stop you.

I go to crossfit at 11:30 on my lunch break. Any chance you can go at lunch time?

Jump in and give it some time and you'll decide if it's right for you. Use your weekends to rest or do recovery work. No need to commute on Saturdays too (most boxes are closed Sunday.)