CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Shane Zuiker

Profile:
Diet Analysis

Hello everyone,
I've been doing Crossfit for a few months now and would like some input on my diet. Fat loss would be nice but my main goal is to be the best athlete I can be. So I'm not willing to limit my calorie intake to the point of performance loss. I'm hoping the fat loss will still come gradually. I have been on the Paleo Diet for a couple months and seen good improvement but I'm always looking to better myself and have my body running on optimum levels. I work a job doing landscaping so I do moderate work for about 8 hours every weekday on top of the 3 on 1 off Crossfit workouts. Here are my stats:

24 years old
238 pounds
6feet 8inches
Athletic build(I like to think)

I typed all my calories into fitday and this is what I came out with.

Today I ate
3,570 calories
107.5g Fat (35%)
Sat Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 14.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 62.4g
308.8g Protein (45%)
142.6g Carbs (20%)

Dietary Fiber 45.3g
All the daily recommended vitamins were green, which is over 100% except for Potassium(94%) and Sodium(45%)

I try not to eat any processed foods and stick to straight Paleo during the average day. My calories come from olive oil, almonds, mixed vegetables(non starchy mostly broccoli ,cauliflower, green beans) fruits(oranges and apples),chicken breast, turkey breast, pork loins, and grass fed beef.I also take the Kirkland Brand Fish oil supplement at 25 pills/day, which comes out to 25g of fat and 12.5g of saturated fat. This is not included in my fitday analysis so I'm a little worried about the extra fat especially the saturated. Also not included is the 18oz glass of chocolate milk that I drink post workout. I have heard it is one of the best things to have PWO so I have stuck to it even though it's not Paleo. I tend to stress over my diet quite often so any input from my fellow crossfitters would be greatly appreciated. Anything I need to increase/decrease or add to my diet? Thanks in advance.

Shane
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: Diet Analysis

I'd lower protein by 100g and replace with carbs.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
That would be a very zone-ish thing to do.

Just my 2 cents as I'm no diet guru but in the performance menu, Rob Wolf seems to agree with the main idea put forth in the book protein power - Under 100g of Carbs for weight loss and general health. Because fat storage has to do with excess calories and insulin response right? Upping the carbs would seem to boost the insulin response without lowering any calories ...

Last edited by Philip Bjorge; 10-12-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

try zoning out your food. I would start at about 27 blocks and adjust from there. Your quality is already pretty good...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
Greg Privitera

Profile:

I don't zone and I don't think there is any magic to keeping your meals a certain ratio.

I do base estimated protein needs off of lbm, and if he's looking to maintain, 210 should be fine because I'm sure he's not in "contest" shape.

Carbs should be at least 125/150 per day, any lower and you're using protein. Especially if you're a huge dude like this guy, working a physical job.

Fat should be adjusted based on performance and fat gain but 100g seems like a good place to start.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Also: Saturated fat looks a bit low in my opinion.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

Quote:
I don't zone and I don't think there is any magic to keeping your meals a certain ratio.

I do base estimated protein needs off of lbm, and if he's looking to maintain, 210 should be fine because I'm sure he's not in "contest" shape.

Carbs should be at least 125/150 per day, any lower and you're using protein. Especially if you're a huge dude like this guy, working a physical job.

Fat should be adjusted based on performance and fat gain but 100g seems like a good place to start.
Sorry for the innaccurate Zone tag then. It was just downing the protein and upping the carbs put it kind of close to "Zone Prescriptions."

My comment above was strictly to learn and so is this one... What do you mean any lower than 125/150 and you use protein? You mean glycogen levels get depleted and protein has to be used instead?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
My recommendation would be to lower protein by 100g and replace with fat or maybe with 1/2 fat 1/2 carbs. So the consensus is to cut protein. If you replace with carbs and start to feel like you're on the energy teeter-totter where you're blood sugar keeps spiking and then is lowered due to insulin response, that would be too many carbs. Also, if you start to put on a few lb's - too many carbs. If you don't feel like you have enough energy, maybe after a harder day of landscaping, that would be too few carbs.

Try one approach, give it a week and see how you feel. Adjust accordingly.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Bjorge View Post
Sorry for the innaccurate Zone tag then. It was just downing the protein and upping the carbs put it kind of close to "Zone Prescriptions."

My comment above was strictly to learn and so is this one... What do you mean any lower than 125/150 and you use protein? You mean glycogen levels get depleted and protein has to be used instead?
Yup, just the brain is going to need anywhere from 110-150g glucose per day. Glucose can be made in the liver from broken down protein (and other stuff of course) but for a longer term (and especially performance based diet) this is not necessary.

So we know that the OP is going to be burning at LEAST an average of 30-50 grams of carbs per WOD with that much muscle mass. We also know that he's active during the day. And that he wants performance as much as anything else. There's no need to keep his carbs as low as others would suggest.

Replacing those 100g protein with 50g carbs and 20g fat would surely be ok, too. But the OP should try both approaches.

In my opinion, extra carbs are only bad when they are exactly that, extra.

Disclaimer: My recommendations would change if he wanted a short term fat loss diet, but I do not think this is the case. And I'm sorry if my first response came off as a bit defensive, I only meant it to be clear that I was not a "Zone fits all" kinda guy.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Shane Zuiker

Profile:

Thanks for the help everyone.

So what I am getting from the posts is the 308g of protein is too much. Will 208g per day be enough for my muscles to completely recover? Also by replacing the 100g of protein with 50g of carbs(fruits and vegetables only) and 20g(olive oil or almonds) of fat will my energy levels increase because carbs and fat are better souces of energy? Would you guys stick with the chocolate milk PWO? Thanks again everyone