CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #51
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: Paleo: the best diet bar none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
and that's why it's called Whole Paycheck.
yeah I know! a fitting name indeed.... I have nobody to blame but myself though
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #52
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Jay,

It just dawned on me that if every things goes well, I will be in quantico during meatfest.
Uh, does that mean you can't come pick me up in CA? Oh, wait, you didn't pick me up this year either.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #53
John Devine

Profile:

Henry's has Natural (no abx, no hormones) chicken breasts for $0.99/lb! Bought like 6 trays and loaded up the freezer.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #54
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Uh, does that mean you can't come pick me up in CA? Oh, wait, you didn't pick me up this year either.
If you wanted to come, we would have got you here!!!!!! Leave the board and hubby at home, come hang with the Big Dogs in 2010.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #55
David Knutzen

Profile:

Is anyone going to pick me up for Meatfest on my way back from Iraq?

Jason, I'm not sure about the normal price, but Buy For Less has chicken breasts on sale for $0.99/lbs this week. I scored 4lbs for cheap. Normal price can't be much more than that though, pretty much everything in OKC is pretty inexpensive.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #56
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knutzen View Post
Is anyone going to pick me up for Meatfest on my way back from Iraq?
David;
Keep us appraised of your coordinates, we'll see what assets we have in place.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #57
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
If you wanted to come, we would have got you here!!!!!! Leave the board and hubby at home, come hang with the Big Dogs in 2010.
Hubby would have to come with, even though I know you'd all make fun of his skinny cyclist body!!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #58
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Hubby would have to come with, even though I know you'd all make fun of his skinny cyclist body!!
Does Lord of the Flies ring a bell? Great ending. Just goes to prove, BBQ is the common man's dish.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #59
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
Darryl: how many carbs do you think low level activities burn? This may be where we disagree. And I'm not looking for a study where people ate an extremely high carb intake, and thus always had full glycogen stores. We should, rather, not keep full glycogen stores all the time.
How many carbs do I think low level activities burn? Depends.

The point is paleo man never had the option of swapping carbs for fats so carbs have to be the main variable when it comes to your daily energy needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera
Second: if total calories were the only thing that mattered, how how skinny fat people aren't ripped? 60g protein is nothing. When I up protein, and lower carbs/fats in my clients diets, they suddenly start gaining muscle and losing fat.

I've known this for myself for a while, and so have top level physique coaches.
Calories determine what you weigh and exercise determines body composition. In my experience skinny-fat people who exercise generally favour steady state cardio over weights or sprinting. Combine steady state cardio with a low calorie diet you're going to wind up skinny-fat. Mystery solved.

As for what happens with your clients losing fat and gaining muscle when you cut carbs and fats in favour of protein perhaps there are other factors you need to add into the equation ie. increased motivation to change, a good trainer pushing them harder, the satiating effect of protein causing them to reduce their calorie intake. Maybe it's some combination of all of those things. The one thing I can say for certain though is that there's no evidence that increasing protein above 1.8-2g/kg/d has any effect on performance unless it results in an increase in total calorie consumption.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 AM   #60
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
How many carbs do I think low level activities burn? Depends.

The point is paleo man never had the option of swapping carbs for fats so carbs have to be the main variable when it comes to your daily energy needs.

Calories determine what you weigh and exercise determines body composition. In my experience skinny-fat people who exercise generally favour steady state cardio over weights or sprinting. Combine steady state cardio with a low calorie diet you're going to wind up skinny-fat. Mystery solved.

As for what happens with your clients losing fat and gaining muscle when you cut carbs and fats in favour of protein perhaps there are other factors you need to add into the equation ie. increased motivation to change, a good trainer pushing them harder, the satiating effect of protein causing them to reduce their calorie intake. Maybe it's some combination of all of those things. The one thing I can say for certain though is that there's no evidence that increasing protein above 1.8-2g/kg/d has any effect on performance unless it results in an increase in total calorie consumption.
Personally I'm kind've over the paleo thing (as far as replicating a natural diet, there's no specific thing, so we have to rely on what works now), and i'm surprised to hear it from you since you seem to be evidence based otherwise.

I'm speaking specifically about clients that train at an indoor rowing studio where I do instruction. The workouts have not changed, they are a combination of light weights, intervals, sometimes longer rows but usually 500m or less at a time. I wasn't offering nutrition plans until a couple months ago. Now their bodies have changed. And there of plenty of overfat people who CrossFit regularly (and post some pretty damn good times). Their total weight is not that much, and they are not ripped. Exercise is only part of the equation.

I have zoned and a lost a lot of weight, but strength/muscle too.

I've also done high protein low calorie diets, and am able to maintain muscle mass.

It's also easy to notice that my strength gains are sped up when I increase my protein intake to average around 1g/lb of LBM. Sometimes I eat up to 250g, but at the least 150g. Every once in a while I have a lower protein day.

As Laura says, if so many people are noticing a benefit when they increase protein intake, and there are no apparent ill-effects to consuming 1-1.5g protein per pound of lean body mass, when do you start to question the studies you're referencing rather than the coaches/nutritionists?

Last thing: We don't need many carbs to walk around carrying our cell phones and wallets. These lower intensity activities can be mostly fueled by fat.