CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Jim Atherton

Profile:
rhabdomyolysis treatment

Anybody see this?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...h-victims.htmlYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

heres the source:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/01/22/0910174107YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

will this make uncle rhabdo go away?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: rhabdomyolysis treatment

Yes, it will help.

But you should probably go to the ER anyway if you're peeing brown... better safe than sorry.

And if you're pushing into rhabdo workout range it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much volume. You're literally destroying muscle fibers and setting yourself back in your workouts for months.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Andrew Joy

Profile:

I was diagnosed w/ rhabdo last friday. I was given 2 bags of IV on saturday, I've been drinking nothing but water mixed with a little bit of gatorade (in the range of 2 gal per day) and was given another bag of IV on Monday. My doctor just told me that my blood test from yesterday came back and although my kidney function is normal, my CPK level is up from 47,000 on Friday to somewhere around 70,000 today.

Is there something else that could be causing this? I'm drug free and have never had any medical conditions. The workout that set me off (I think) was 100 pullups for time w/ a 3 burpee penalty for dropping off of the bar. I've been focusing mainly on strength and olympic lifts with short metcons tossed in, so this was a higher volume than what I've been doing, but I've done plenty of workouts with >100 pullups and never had a problem. The days after the workout I couldn't straighten my arms and around my elbows the tissue was very swollen and puffy.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Not much you can do after it's occurred except rest and other recovery protocol.

RICE+,massage+anti-inflams will help.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Always an Uptick in damage related to time line. Hence the dmos three days after a work out. Bascially, once you done damage, the damage keeps on occurring til the body's repairing ability catches up.

This is seen even in "silent heart attacks" person presents to hospital for something else like chest pain that comes and goes, shortness of breath and during the blood work observation at 6-8 hours intervals ... there is up tick in damage related blood work.

Like steve said... lots of Fluids( 2 gallons is a bit much.. 1 gallon is ample) while making sure you putting out urine in an appropriate amount... take fish oil .. . easy on the self massage but lite volume may help and consider contrasting baths ... ice cold for comfort and heat to pump in new fresh blood and to pump out the toxins.

As to tylenol being the wonder drug.... lots of drugs never make it past the RAT stage, so please dont stop exercising safe judgement and replace it with tylenol. If you work out and have pain / swelling post workout; see A doctor.