CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #1
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
i see alot of people with shoulder injuries, but none like this. So here's a new one for you.

I screwed my shoulder last year when a packstrap broke. I had a pack entirely on one shoulder. As a result, I had tendonitis, it hurt so much to move it, I lost most of my range of motion. I would randomly lose feeling in my arm, lose the ability to feel and control my arm and had constant shoulder pain.

Let me explain. Imagine your shoulder. It has a bone in front and a bone in back. Seperating those bones is muscle and nerves. The back bone is not kept seperate and squeezes the muscle and nerves. One way to catch this is to see that when holding the up part of the pushup position, the shoulder blade tends to shake. This requires the shoulder blade be uncovered (shirt off) with someone looking down from above. I ended up with a room full of medical personnel looking at mine as it is a relatively common injury amongst military personnel.

I was told flat out, don't do any upperbody PT. I didn't for two months. It still hurts like crazy to do certain exercises (don't ask for pushups or more than 2/3-3/4 bw bench) even though I have my full range of motion back. I have pain a decent chunk of the time, and occasionally lose feeling and even control of the arm.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Good news, it looks like I may get this fixed. The Marine Corps finally looked at the paperwork and said, "Oh, crap." Now, until I see a neurologist, I am under extremely restrictive rules about PT. For one, no use of weights in excess of 10-15 lbs when my shoulder is involved. About the only thing I am allowed to do is run or use a bicycle. Apparently, there is scapular winging. To quote one Dr., "...this can be a lifelong problem."

(Message edited by xenophon on May 24, 2007)
Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Injury/Nerve Palsy

Neurologist sent me to orthopedist who sent me back to neurologist who said wait and see, then saw that he needed to refer me to someone better suited.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:

Were you ever actually given a diagnosis of what was wrong? Sounds like some serious red tape that it's been 10 months and you still don't have a concrete game plan. I'm guessing the ortho did not localize a surgical lesion?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
Samuel Redwine

Profile:

My neurologist sen me to the orthopedist after confirming the diagnosis. He wanted to make sure there wasn't anything like a dislocation in addition. If I was going to fault anyone, it would be the Marine Corps. I had a problem they couldn't diagnose for a long time, then they sent me off active duty to my reserve unit who didn't submit the paperwork in time. So now I am paying out of pocket hoping that they'll step up and do what they said they would. If I had known they were going to behave like this, I would have stayed at Comm school and gone to physical therapy their hoping that worked (goal at the time was 16 wks of physical therapy to get me back to doing regular pushups, something I still can't do without lots of pain 18+ months later). The good news about that is that our new head corpsman on the I&I staff who is there 5 days a week is trying to get me covered for the treatment.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:

Wow. Hopefully there hasn't been too much atrophy, and you can eventually regain full use and function. At our clinic we unfortunately see people well after the initial injury (sometimes years), and they're much harder to help. You sound motivated, so that will serve you well.

Best of luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Samuel Redwine

Profile:

I wouldn't be shocked if I had to start back up from the ground at some point in the future. That said, I've tried to work around it as best I can. The TRX I was given 7 months ago, and my rower actually are the basis for my program at the moment. I can do bicep curls and play with my foot positions and presto I have to stabilize with my core like crazy. I just avoid the shoulders and I get a pretty good whole body workout. What I get the most out of it with are the squat and lunge variations. I get good lower body strength, lots of core stabilization and improved balance.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Samuel Redwine

Profile:

I finally got word last month that my future medical bills will be covered. Now we're trying to authorize my current doctor to treat me.